help with this awful startup noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I called ford and they said they can offer some assistance. Shop guy mentioned on phone something about a tune at discount while it’s being operated on but didn’t think dealership did something like a Cobb tune? Regardless many thanks for all the help!
Can’t see them offering something aftermarket so it wouldn’t be a tune; maybe software updates that hadn’t been performed? Regardless, it’s good to hear that they’re going to assist!

Webb24

Reaction score
Good luck getting the parts to fix it. Ford offered to pay 60% of my cam phaser repair which left me at $1,100 to pay. My truck was at 69k miles. Now the parts are backordered and no one can tell me when they will come in. The truck has sit in the dealer parking lot for over two months waiting on a valve cover gasket and timing chain. Ford Corp calls me once a week to tell me nothing has changed. Its beyond frustrating at this point. I feel sorry for the poor lady that has to call people everyday to be fussed at. If ANYONE has a valve cover gasket or timing chain I WILL PAY FOR IT.

OP
OP
G

guyzilla

Reaction score
This is unbelievable. I order a 2018 from the factory with my specs and actually have a quicker wait than expected thanks to my dealer. All good, I figure 6 months worth the wait for this incredible machine. Ive purchased countless f150s for my employees over the past 40yrs and always considered myself a Ford guy. Now my raptor is in the shop again and in limbo. And these are easy miles, no off road. I assume it’s at the dealership.I dropped it off 10 days ago but no response from ford customer service or dealership.

Webb24

Reaction score
This is unbelievable. I order a 2018 from the factory with my specs and actually have a quicker wait than expected thanks to my dealer. All good, I figure 6 months worth the wait for this incredible machine. Ive purchased countless f150s for my employees over the past 40yrs and always considered myself a Ford guy. Now my raptor is in the shop again and in limbo. And these are easy miles, no off road. I assume it’s at the dealership.I dropped it off 10 days ago but no response from ford customer service or dealership.
You are in for a bad time. My advice is if you don’t want to wait over 3 months, trade it in now. This is week 11 of my raptor sitting in the dealership parking lot with no end in sight. No clue when the parts will be in. A COPIS case was opened at the start of this. Ford won’t even provide a rental even though the problem is due to their design flaw. This has been the worst experience of any vehicle I have ever owned. Ford Motor Co is a joke and I’ll never own another one.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
I don't know your whole situation, but why wouldn't you just get your truck back and drive it while they are waiting on parts? Is it apart right now? Typically when we diag phaser noise we order the parts and let the customer keep driving said vehicle until parts are in.

Not to mention, this is stated right in the TSB "NOTE: Dealers should only order parts for customer vehicles that require repairs. Because of parts constraints, dealers may experience situational short-term backorders on some parts. Customers should continue to drive the vehicle while parts are on order."

-Joe

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know your whole situation, but why wouldn't you just get your truck back and drive it while they are waiting on parts? Is it apart right now? Typically when we diag phaser noise we order the parts and let the customer keep driving said vehicle until parts are in.

Not to mention, this is stated right in the TSB "NOTE: Dealers should only order parts for customer vehicles that require repairs. Because of parts constraints, dealers may experience situational short-term backorders on some parts. Customers should continue to drive the vehicle while parts are on order."

-Joe

Man if I had to drive it around sounding like that I would have to either put cam phaser lockouts on it or two, put Ram and HEMI stickers all over it.

Webb24

Reaction score

-Joe
So according to the dealership they are worried the timing chain could stretch or break and ruin the engine if I drive it. The truck is barely out of warranty and Ford would not cover a new engine if that happened. Even though the ford corp lady is going to offer me an extended warranty for free once the truck is actually repaired. The truck would sometimes act like it wanted to die at idle and the turbo would surge at high throttle. Think the engine codes were P0018 and P0021 all related to cam phasers according to the dealership and an independent mechanic friend.

Last edited:

sc85fiero

Reaction score
So according to the dealership they are worried the timing chain could stretch or break and ruin the engine if I drive it. The truck is barely out of warranty and Ford would not cover a new engine if that happened. Even though the ford corp lady is going to offer me an extended warranty for free once the truck is actually repaired. The truck would sometimes act like it wanted to die at idle and the turbo would surge at high throttle. Think the engine codes were P0018 and P0021 all related to cam phasers according to the dealership and an independent mechanic friend.
Like I said, I didn't know your situation. That being said, it sounds like you have more than a phaser issue going on. The TSB to replace phasers is solely for a noise on startup. It won't cause the other issues youre referring to. The dying at idle is likely caused by the VCT solenoids (Not the VCT gears that are being replaced under a TSB). Don't take that as a diagnosis on my part, there are some things a tech needs to do to confirm if thats the case and they do need to be paid for their time to do so.

The chain, I don't know. Maybe yours is stretched? The technician needs to remove the front cover and count the number of teeth exposed on the timing chain tensioner to confirm. Turbo surging? I don't know as that's not a very common issue. I don't know how you are identifying that the turbo is surging but again, that wouldn't be something I would ever try to diagnose from my computer.

All in all, your situation is different than most who have phaser issues. I'd say 80-90% of the time its replace phasers for a rattle noise on startup per the TSB and move on. No chains get replaced or anything other than required one time use parts (like the valve cover gaskets you are waiting on).

-Joe