help with this awful startup noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

guyzilla

Reaction score
Well I took it to a different dealer yr and they are telling me I need 4 things. 1. Valve cover gasket replacement 2,3. Pads and rotors on front/ back brakes 4. New coolant outlet.
These items may all be legit but no mention of cam phasers? The knocking sound in my engine (I run super unleaded) and barely starting on cold engine can’t be corrected by valve cover and coolant outlet can it?

OP
OP
G

guyzilla

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help guys, I’m beyond frustrated having to rent a car for anticipated lengthy service time only for dealer to not correct the issue and have to do it all over again.
I’m in Atlanta. Hennessy blows. Ellis says a week before they can even look at it. Gwinnett has it now. Running out of options. Hell I may even drive over to Montgomery where I bought it at this point.

jAKe47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help guys, I’m beyond frustrated having to rent a car for anticipated lengthy service time only for dealer to not correct the issue and have to do it all over again.
I’m in Atlanta. Hennessy blows. Ellis says a week before they can even look at it. Gwinnett has it now. Running out of options. Hell I may even drive over to Montgomery where I bought it at this point.

Akins in Winder

OP
OP
G

guyzilla

Reaction score
update. now they are telling me they had the wrong truck entered which i'm fine with but wanting $3700 to replace the phasers. i had them replaced 2 years ago at 33k miles. i'm now at 63k miles. would this still not be under warranty? thought i heard something about 70k miles on phaser warranty and the first phaser obviously didn't take? thanks for any help.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
update. now they are telling me they had the wrong truck entered which i'm fine with but wanting $3700 to replace the phasers. i had them replaced 2 years ago at 33k miles. i'm now at 63k miles. would this still not be under warranty? thought i heard something about 70k miles on phaser warranty and the first phaser obviously didn't take? thanks for any help.
Nope unfortunately not. It's ******** that ford stopped paying for this fix.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd trade 'er in. Get one with a warranty.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the extended coverage expired. If you’re the original owner, call Ford Customer support and ask for financial assistance. With it being a known issue and having a prior repair for the same concern, they will typically offer to pay a portion of the repair, and when that occurs the pricing changes from customer pay to warranty, which brings the total cost down.

OP
OP
G

guyzilla

Reaction score
Well I called ford and they said they can offer some assistance. Shop guy mentioned on phone something about a tune at discount while it’s being operated on but didn’t think dealership did something like a Cobb tune? Regardless many thanks for all the help!