GEN 2 Help with Spring and Leaf Selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
But that one is not just a simple add a leaf job right? You have to pull out the whole assembly and disassemble the leaf pack to add it correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes but it beats buying a whole new leaf pack with your needs change.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Here's what I have in the bed. The Pelican case is full of tools and recovery gear.

View attachment 162365
I have an Elements 63q with slide and filled with drinks, ProEagle 3 ton jack and mounting plate, ARB twin compressor and tank, ARB recovery bag, tonneau cover, a handful of folding chairs, and a tool bag full of tools. This stuff stays in the truck always. I also use a Thule rack loaded with a couple road bikes. I love riding motorcycles but the thrill is gone for riding it for hours across flyover land. So when going out west I’m thinking to load my GS up in the back.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I think you will be happy with Eibachs and Deaver +4HD's!
So based on the linked thread you had drop shackles and then ended up removing them? So the advice would be to get the +4HD and Eibachs. Drive it and let it settle and then determine if drop shackles are needed or is that something I need to add to my order from the get go? Wouldn’t the +3HD and no shackles net the same result or are you just suggesting the +4 will provide more flexibility in the future?

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, I removed the drop shackles and had the stock shackles re-installed. Yes, I would install with stock length shackles first with the +4HD's. If it's too high for you then drop shackles would bring it down some. My truck is also a '19 and the weight we both carry in the bed along with the bed cover are similar.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Correct, I removed the drop shackles and had the stock shackles re-installed. Yes, I would install with stock length shackles first with the +4HD's. If it's too high for you then drop shackles would bring it down some. My truck is also a '19 and the weight we both carry in the bed along with the bed cover are similar.
Outstanding! Thanks for the help here. I will go this direction. Hopefully Apollo Optics has everything in stock.

Brett Rahn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8E5D347A-D442-4410-86D1-5092AA7ED8F5.jpeg Save yourself a lot of money. Call your local spring shop ask them to add a leaf. I had same issues with towing my enclosed trailer. Tongue weight was over 600 and truck was squatted bad. Instead of spending all that money on Deavers and icons or whatever. I took it to them they added 1 steel leaf same as the oem. And adjusted the ride height by simple moving it up or down in stack. Then drilled it and put the quit pad in it and then put the stock back together and reinstalled with new hardware. Did both for less than 550. And it works nice. Raised the back about 1 to 1 1/2 inch then did the prg collars to level and done. Tows nice rides very nice. Still has oem travel etc. and I stood and watched them do springs in about 1-2 hrs. 8E5D347A-D442-4410-86D1-5092AA7ED8F5.jpeg

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
View attachment 162379 Save yourself a lot of money. Call your local spring shop ask them to add a leaf. I had same issues with towing my enclosed trailer. Tongue weight was over 600 and truck was squatted bad. Instead of spending all that money on Deavers and icons or whatever. I took it to them they added 1 steel leaf same as the oem. And adjusted the ride height by simple moving it up or down in stack. Then drilled it and put the quit pad in it and then put the stock back together and reinstalled with new hardware. Did both for less than 550. And it works nice. Raised the back about 1 to 1 1/2 inch then did the prg collars to level and done. Tows nice rides very nice. Still has oem travel etc. and I stood and watched them do springs in about 1-2 hrs. View attachment 162379

The deavers are tried and true, reduce wheel hop which I have a bad problem with, and perform excellent off road which from my research leads me to believe would not be the case with adding a leaf. Plus I still will have the block which I want to get rid of.