Help with shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a total noob here and would be very grateful if you all could explain to me how shackles work with our trucks and why one would want to add the to their Deaver +3s?

I understand some shackles will lower the truck but other than that I’m at a loss as to why I would need to add any with my build so some simple explanations would be great!

I would love more lift for tires so wouldn’t ever want to use them to lower my truck but if other advantages are added with some sort of setup then would just like to understand my options.

Bests
Alex

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock shackles can be the weak link in the rear suspension if you're going off road...I replaced mine with longer shackles to keep the stock height knowing if I want to raise the rear a little (about 1 inch) all I needed were a set of stock height shackles (again aftermarket)

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So only for strengthening and better travel basically. Also better parts in general to keep articulation smooth. No way to really raise the rear with them? I’m wanting to raise the front and rear just an inch or 2 after do suspension upgrade of Fox 3.0s or MT kit. I will be using fenders hopefully (was planning on Robby Woods stuff but too late I’m thinking) but want just a tad higher ride over the suspension.

Would a 1-2” block along with Deaver +3s and track bars work? Or would that be to stressful? Truck is 90% on road and when off road no crazy high speeds.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
with traction bars you will only be able to use stock length shackles. Longer shackles rotate the rear axle forward at full droop. The traction bars will limit that movement and you'll get binding if you try to use longer shackles.

If you want more of a lift, deaver will make +4s.

In all honesty, you don't need the extra height. +1" is good for up to 40s with the right bedsides.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with traction bars you will only be able to use stock length shackles. Longer shackles rotate the rear axle forward at full droop. The traction bars will limit that movement and you'll get binding if you try to use longer shackles.

If you want more of a lift, deaver will make +4s.

In all honesty, you don't need the extra height. +1" is good for up to 40s with the right bedsides.

So camburg stock shackles with +3 Deavers and track bar is fine?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So only for strengthening and better travel basically. Also better parts in general to keep articulation smooth. No way to really raise the rear with them? I’m wanting to raise the front and rear just an inch or 2 after do suspension upgrade of Fox 3.0s or MT kit. I will be using fenders hopefully (was planning on Robby Woods stuff but too late I’m thinking) but want just a tad higher ride over the suspension.

Would a 1-2” block along with Deaver +3s and track bars work? Or would that be to stressful? Truck is 90% on road and when off road no crazy high speeds.

Why not just get taller Deavers? We've done multiple +4 setups for customers. Go this route and then you don't have to worry about adding a block black and the issues associated with them. And go with aftermarket stock height shackles to the added strength, not the drop shackles.

If you'd like a hand with building your suspension setup, let us know. We'd be happy to help.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just get taller Deavers? We've done multiple +4 setups for customers. Go this route and then you don't have to worry about adding a block black and the issues associated with them. And go with aftermarket stock height shackles to the added strength, not the drop shackles.

If you'd like a hand with building your suspension setup, let us know. We'd be happy to help.

I would have bought +4s had they been a known option back about a year ago when I purchased my +3s that are still sitting on pallet in garage beside a box of SVC adjustable bump with Fox can, and Fox 3.0 front and rear shocks all collecting dust because I don’t know what I’m going to do in the end. I did manage to pull the stock IC and chop the frame horns for the Baja bumper and SVC FMIC. That was enough of a job for me and father in law without clear instructions lol. If we had internet service in his shop it would have saved hours literally. Looking at pictures would have helped a bunch on its own.

Taking off and putting on the shocks and springs is something I only want to do once unless it’s to fix something. I know I want fenders and sides but that it the only thing I know for sure lol. SVC Mid Travel, Robby Woods MTR Kit, or screw the MT and just go with my Fox 3.0s and an offset wheel to fill the fenders and sides. I will never use 75% of any suspension setup including factory so just a matter of looks and drivability with larger tires. Glad I’m not impatient for sure. My home theater is on year 5 of just development and accumulation of equipment, 8 years of count pouring the slab and installing an over the top holdover 4K 13’ wide scope screen back in 2010!!! Crazy I am is all I can say at times. My wife is especially liking the huge box containing the Trinnov Altitude32 Processor laying in the living room corner at the moment.