Help! Water leak problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I had the same problem as you - I could literally hear water sloshing when I start and stop after a heavy rain. The water was in the door sills (pull the plastic up and you can see the wire harnesses sitting in the channel full of water).

Mine is a 2018 too. The problem was the drain hoses were NOT connected in the rear pillars. I pulled the trim pieces both sides in the rear and reached down in there to reconnect the hoses to the connector that drains out below the truck. Fixed it.

I also used a syringe to pull water out of those channels in the door sills. Maybe a better method but it got the water out and I was able to get it all dried up.

ggsando

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your frustration. I have a 2018 and two years back the pax body seam at the A pillar roof line separated. After resealing and replacing the windshield Ford finally sent it to the body shop. They quickly identified the seams were bad on both sides and seams were re-sealed. No problems since.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a crack in my passenger cab vent which was leaking. They did the air conditioner TSB at the same time.

OP
OP
D

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
Follow up from Dr. Mike:
So, I was in process of unloading gear from the truck in anticipation of bring it to dealer this week. As I opened the right rear passenger door I saw some dripping and when I shook door hears the sloshing! I found rubber plug at bottom of door and pulled it out and out gushed a large quantity of water which had apparently accumulated in the door itself . As I had mentioned previously. I had taken truck through car wash a couple of days ago and we had 2 major rainstorms within 24 hours of that.
Question is, why did that happen in first place and how to avoid it In future (yea I know, besides NOT going to car wash)
Thanks,
Dr. Mike

OP
OP
D

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
Sonic, thanks for the note, what are the pillars you speak of and where do they originate so that drainage would accumulate in the door? I am suprised that door has rubber plug in first place I would think there would be a permanent opening for continuous drainage.
Fortunately, a syringe would be no problem for me, lol! But I drove truck up on curb on a hill to tip it more and get as much out as I could. Actually I think I’ll leave the rubber plug out and let some air get in to evaporate anything moisture left i over. Will bring to dealer this week anyway and let them check it further. I she had sooo many problems with this truck since I got it. I thought they were fixed by now. Very glad I got extended warranty. I just knew some more S*** would happen

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There should be small drain holes in the doors at the bottom, besides the rubber plugs, look near the front of the door, is it plugged with dirt and debris? One of the things I do every second wash is do my door jams and spray water up in the door from the drain holes and flush them out good! Don't like rust and thats a sure way of getting some, well yours is aluminum, but you get the drift.

OP
OP
D

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
Corona, I saw no other opening in the door other than the rubber plug on the inside right lower margin of the door. Where exactly are these other holes you speak of in relation to the rubber plug? I imagine they are really blocked up or my car is a lemon and simply does not have them !!!! Which I would not be at all surprised ! Like I said, I have had sooo many problems wirh this truck

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Corona, I saw no other opening in the door other than the rubber plug on the inside right lower margin of the door. Where exactly are these other holes you speak of in relation to the rubber plug? I imagine they are really blocked up or my car is a lemon and simply does not have them !!!! Which I would not be at all surprised ! Like I said, I have had sooo many problems wirh this truck

@CoronaRaptor is probably thinking of his truck, that doesn't have floor boards. He uses his feet to stop and truck flips over with a rack of ribs.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doc Mike - the sunroof drain hoses run down the pillar behind the rear windows. It wouldn’t get water to the doors, but it does fill the door sills and you will hear sloshing. Easy to check that too, pull the plastic door sills and check.
If you have water in the sills too check to make sure those hoses are attached to a connector that drains out the bottom of the truck.
You don’t have to pull the whole trim piece off, it’s a pain but you can pull it from the top and away from the door side so you can reach down in there to see if the hose is connected to anything.
Both of mine were disconnected.
I read somewhere that this was an occasional issue with 2018s.
Here is the trim piece to pull:
023D1588-138C-41BB-BE12-31969A500C8E.jpeg