Help w/ CHMSL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FILRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a look at Recon LED brake light (3 wire - red/black/white) vs factory light 7 wire set-up (red/white/white w/ black trace + black/brown to each cargo light). Recon makes no mention of browns or white w/ black trace, but instead refers to a blue wire. ???

Thanks for anyone who can clarify for me.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took a look at Recon LED brake light (3 wire - red/black/white) vs factory light 7 wire set-up (red/white/white w/ black trace + black/brown to each cargo light). Recon makes no mention of browns or white w/ black trace, but instead refers to a blue wire. ???

Thanks for anyone who can clarify for me.
If you are talking about the 3rd brake light, I don't think Recon makes one that is compatible with the Raptor. The reason being that the Raptor has it's 3 rear LED marker lights built into this brake light. The Recon light is for standard f150's.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
If you are talking about the 3rd brake light, I don't think Recon makes one that is compatible with the Raptor. The reason being that the Raptor has it's 3 rear LED marker lights built into this brake light. The Recon light is for standard f150's.

you can get it to work, he just needs to know the correct wires to make the brake light function properly.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you can get it to work, he just needs to know the correct wires to make the brake light function properly.

The Recon 3rd brake light will fit and work correctly but you will lose the 3 center marker lights (this is why there are extra wires). I think the best option now would be to smoke the factory brake light. At least until some better after market options are available.

OP
OP
FILRaptor

FILRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Recon 3rd brake light will fit and work correctly but you will lose the 3 center marker lights (this is why there are extra wires). I think the best option now would be to smoke the factory brake light. At least until some better after market options are available.

werd. threw my hands up in surrender and reinstalled the factory CHMSL; found local retailer for Nightshades spray tint.

Oh, and fwiw ... Recon, you might want to respond to customer requests for tech support. Sent Saturday, 1 Jan ... it's now 7:45 EST on 4 Jan, and not a peep from you.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran into the same thing after receiving NUMEROUS emails from Recon about how it worked great, they had it ona Raptor, etc. I cant stand cutting wires only to find something does not work properly!!!!

I received a response from Recon saying it works fine and they have many of them on Raptors. I am awaiting the wiring assignments. ...

No word yet but here is my hunch...

WHITE (Cargo) - Splice to either of the wires wires for the cargo lights (brown or black)
RED (Brake) - Splice to RED (center) wire in the 3-wire plug
BLACK (Ground) - Splice to striped wire in 3-wire plug

The only other option seems to be to splice ground to the white wire in the plug but that seems wrong.

Anyone else actually using one of these lights? I'm stubborn and it's annoying me now so I want to get it right...

Last edited:

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it working. Here is the mapping:

Recon WHITE (cargo) - BLACK from cargo plug (not the Brown)
Recon RED (brake) - RED from center plug
Recon BLACK (ground) - WHITE from center plug