(Help) Truck kinda rear ended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Estimates are free, go to a couple of body shops and get some quotes, show the old man and get cash, order the parts yourself, get the bumper painted and install what you need. If you have any money left over, and you feel generous, hand him a bag of cash back.

Unless you find a crap ton of hidden damage.

If your neighbor has kin close by, you need to mention something to them. Today it was your truck, tomorrow it could be a child. There comes a point where you have to take responsibility and not be a menace to society with your vehicle(s) anymore. It’s sounding like it’s your neighbor’s time. I know how that sounds and believe me I know first hand that’s a really uncomfortable topic, but he needs to hang up the spurs before he does something worse. It’s only a matter of time and he’ll be lucky if it’s only a car and it’s only major damage.

I’m not saying go steal the guy’s keys, but have that conversation with his family when the opportunity presents.

luv2xlr8

Reaction score
Hi guys. My truck was parked in front of my house and my neighbor accidentally stepped on the gas pedal thinking he was in drive and it uitimately hit my truck’s rear. I will post photos for you to look at. He is quite elderly and I was thinking that of just ordering the parts from tasca and getting the bumper painted from a body shop and doing it myself.

I’m not sure if I would need to replace the hitch or not. Please help me understand if I need this. The bumper is kind of bent inwards towards where it mounts on the hitch. However, I don’t think that I would need to order a new hitch since it does look fine I guess.

I just wanted to know, is it easy to replace the bumper on your own?? The parts I plan on to replace myself are:

- the plastic step pad
- bumper
- one sensor
- maybe the hitch (I’m not sure, please help me understand) View attachment 312997View attachment 312998View attachment 312999

the damage could have been much worse. My weather tech bumper protector did an amazing job minimizing as much damage as possible…. Thanks in advance.
The best thing for you to do is to exchange insurance cards and have a Ford dealership handle the repairs with his insurance company. This is not your fault and you should not have to worry about spending your hard earned money and time on this. That’s my advice, take it for what it’s worth.

Noe Vasquez

Reaction score
Run the whole thing under your insurance as uninsured motorist/hit and run. I paid 200.00 for something similar for what turned out to be about 2000.00 of parts and labor. As I am sure you know, the smallest part on these rigs are high priced when using OEM, in which my insurance company allowed me to request as I was not at fault. It may show on CARFAX, but shouldn't affect overall price, as it is minor... just something to think about.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with making sure the wife or caregivers know about the accident. I hate to see older people lose their licences, but hate more to see kids get run over. Not that this will mean an automatic loss, but his handlers need to know.

I use this insert to reduce the chance of braille parker damage etc.

1626282987788.png

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no police report and you can at all help it DO NOT get insurance companies and body shops involved. You will get ripped BIG TIME by Carfax when you go to sell!!! I watched a vehicle I had get ripped for 10 grand in value by Carfax on a very minor collision when I went to sell it last year to by my Raptor.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Run the whole thing under your insurance as uninsured motorist/hit and run.
Uninsured/underinsured is only for bodily injury claims, unless your state is weird. Your collision insurance is what covers damages to your truck. They just rule it as "at fault" or "not at fault" collision coverage on your part.

bjork

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no police report and you can at all help it DO NOT get insurance companies and body shops involved. You will get ripped BIG TIME by Carfax when you go to sell!!! I watched a vehicle I had get ripped for 10 grand in value by Carfax on a very minor collision when I went to sell it last year to by my Raptor.
It seems like this is the general consensus, and for good reason. I agree, it’s not worth unless the total damage to the vehicle is worth sacrificing the untainted status on carmax, especially for anything minor. I’d imagine a better option is finding one that’s being parted out. Not sure how common/rare that is in OP’s area but I see them here and there in SoCal. Best of luck to OP

OP
OP
V

V_K

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for all the help. Can someone help me find a really good condition rear bumper end caps for my truck? Or is anyone on this forum willing to sell me one?

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my bumper apart a couple of years ago when I cut it for flush mount Rigid cube lights. It’s not exactly fun, but it’s not rocket science.

I actually found used bumper sides and the plastic piece that covers the whole thing for $100 on Facebook Marketplace which I had bought before my light project in case I screwed up cutting my original bumper. I did end up using one side later down the road for another incident. I would think that with all the members in here who have installed aftermarket bumpers, there should be some stock ones floating around for sale.

One thing I will say is that when you install the plastic trim on top of the bumper, be careful to line up the tabs with the holes in the metal parts because it’s easy to break those tabs.