Help treypal fix all of his Rapturd issues before the Raptor run!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Holy cow 750? The plugs are costly but shouldn't be that much. What all did they say they did during a "tune up"?

I prefer a flush. If its done proper it does a good job exchanging the fluid. A pan drop and re fill can't do the same. If the fluid comes out real, real dirty, I'll suggest doing both a flush and filter.

They said that was just for plugs and boots, since they are way down in the head, and they break off a bunch. How many miles do you suggest before changing them?

Mine is there abouts at 70. 6.2. Seems all the Fords I have ever owned are 2000 at 70. Really! HAhahaaaa

BDRAG

So maybe its all in my head

that is why I run e-30 it is the additive cleaner
Im lost on this one?

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ya e-15 is all that is rated for cars that are not ffv but I still run e-30 what do you use for gas? one thing I know is you don't want to put additives in ethanol or ethanol in fuel with additives.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said that was just for plugs and boots, since they are way down in the head, and they break off a bunch. How many miles do you suggest before changing them?

It is a good idea to replace the boots when your in there, they get brittle from the heat and will break when you remove them or cause miss fires. That's still pretty expensive. Plugs are about 20$ a piece and boots are about 15$ a piece, so figure about 280-300 in parts. That's a whole lot of labor and shop supply charge for a 2-3 hour job.

Manual says to replace the plugs at 100k (I won't wait that long on mine). Don't see any reason not to change them sooner though, specially since the trucks driven in remote places. Less change for a break down due to a worn plug or burned boot.

Your RPM at 70 is about where mine runs also.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said that was just for plugs and boots, since they are way down in the head, and they break off a bunch.

Local shop quoted $1,000 for that tune-up on my buddy's 2007 FX4. Same thing about the plugs breaking off in the 5.4s. He just traded it.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local shop quoted $1,000 for that tune-up on my buddy's 2007 FX4. Same thing about the plugs breaking off in the 5.4s. He just traded it.

Middle of 2008 (MY 2008.5 to 2009 an up) , Ford changed back to the traditional plug design in the 3v 5.4 cylinder head. No more ****** plug tips breaking off. ALL 5.4 Raptors have the new traditional (non breaking) plug design.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Middle of 2008 (MY 2008.5 to 2009 an up) , Ford changed back to the traditional plug design in the 3v 5.4 cylinder head. No more ****** plug tips breaking off. ALL 5.4 Raptors have the new traditional (non breaking) plug design.

Im guessing thats what this service guy was thinking. If it isn't a hard job, I'll just do it myself.

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine told me $750 for the 30k mile tune up. I laughed. He had it down for transmission and coolant change. According to the manual the trans should be done at 60k and the coolant not till after 100k. "Just change the oil, rotate the tires and do your damn 21 point inspection."

My wife's Cadillac has free service on it. Its amazing how long they wait to do that maintenance when its on their dime. They wont change your oil unless you are at 10% or less on the meter thing in the cluster. Trans fluid, "Sir, that's not required until 75k miles, we can do it now but will charge you for it." lol Dealerships are rip offs.

Last edited: