Help treypal fix all of his Rapturd issues before the Raptor run!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
what's that called that powers the wheel the drive it looks like it is low to me but I haven't looked at mine 80k of jumping it's held up pretty good if you ask me but might be time to do a overhaul like you've stated the stage 3 or whatever good luck.

I think its just an illusion. The CV is further back in there. If you have seen one apart you would know that if it had a failure that caused it do drop down out of the joint like that, it wouldn't run at all.

I see what your saying as well. May be the BigJ drive joint thread all over again. I would say a pissed off CV joint could make his noise. Top perch carnage maybe?

BDRAG

Mid perch. The bang definitely isn't coming from the front end.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this one on Amazon. What do you think?

Amazon.com: U581 CAN/OBDII/EOBDII Memo Scanner (Live Data): Automotive

Or this one.
Amazon.com: Equus 3160 Innova ABS + Professional CanOBD2 Diagnostic Code Scanner for OBDII Vehicles with Back-lit Screen and Enhanced Live Data: Automotive

When I was having the hard start issue I decided to fuel up with the truck running. Stuck in the filler and the truck started idling bad then died. Then decided to fix itself later that day.

Its possible, sure looks like it from that pic. Any good way to check or just when I pull the CV out to change the seal?

I dont think I actually saw the throttle plate, I didnt pull any of the abs plastic apart, just the flex hose. What all needs to come off to get to the throttle plate?

I will order one of those Readers up today via amazon prime, can have it by tomorrow. If the $100 will do it, I'd rather go that route.

Do you have a part number on that valve?

Unfortunately I don't have experience with either of those scanners, they both look aright though. I would double check with the manufacture of the scanner that it does read transmission gear data since that's a possible related issue.

On the cv, usually I'll clean them, drive them then recheck. If it looks like its leaking I'll just reband/reclamp the boot and its good to go, unless there's an actual cut/tear in the boot rubber. A lot of times the band loosens over time or the boot shrinks and they leak.

BigJ, the boots are filled with grease only, but over time between the grease breaking down, and the heat when in use, the grease seaps past the clamps and comes out more liquid-ish.

BDRAG, I noticed the slot also. Its the slot for the lower control arm camber/caster adjustment. Its very possible (and they do) they can move and cause a bang, BUT when they do you notice your alignment is way out. Steering wheel will be off center and it will pull bad, easy give away the arm/s moved.

The throttle plate doesn't look real dirty. I'd still clean it. You can spray throttle body cleaner and wipe with a rag, if it needs scrubbed I use an old tooth brush.

Part number for purge valve.9L3Z-9E730-C Canister Purge Valve (2009-2010 F-150 5.4L/2009-2011 Expedition/Navigator)

Also fwiw, I asked one of the masters at work about the stalling. I said, 5.4 3v truck motor stalls when coming to a stop no codes, his reply was bad throttle body.... He also said he's seen it before where a bad throttle body will take awhile before it sets codes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have experience with either of those scanners, they both look aright though. I would double check with the manufacture of the scanner that it does read transmission gear data since that's a possible related issue.

On the cv, usually I'll clean them, drive them then recheck. If it looks like its leaking I'll just reband/reclamp the boot and its good to go, unless there's an actual cut/tear in the boot rubber. A lot of times the band loosens over time or the boot shrinks and they leak.

BigJ, the boots are filled with grease only, but over time between the grease breaking down, and the heat when in use, the grease seaps past the clamps and comes out more liquid-ish.

BDRAG, I noticed the slot also. Its the slot for the lower control arm camber/caster adjustment. Its very possible (and they do) they can move and cause a bang, BUT when they do you notice your alignment is way out. Steering wheel will be off center and it will pull bad, easy give away the arm/s moved.

The throttle plate doesn't look real dirty. I'd still clean it. You can spray throttle body cleaner and wipe with a rag, if it needs scrubbed I use an old tooth brush.

Part number for purge valve.9L3Z-9E730-C Canister Purge Valve (2009-2010 F-150 5.4L/2009-2011 Expedition/Navigator)

Also fwiw, I asked one of the masters at work about the stalling. I said, 5.4 3v truck motor stalls when coming to a stop no codes, his reply was bad throttle body.... He also said he's seen it before where a bad throttle body will take awhile before it sets codes.

Do you mean like regrease them, or just clean the outside?

The local parts house has that purge valve, I am thinking of replacing it.

**Edit** Missed the bad throttle body part there at the bottom. That is interesting. Assuming that there is no good test for this, just have to keep dealing with the shit until it goes right. In hindsight, I am assuming that there is a difference between carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner? :Grenade:

**Edit, Edit**. Tried to pm you pirate. Any suggestions on a code reader?

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean like regrease them, or just clean the outside?

The local parts house has that purge valve, I am thinking of replacing it.

**Edit** Missed the bad throttle body part there at the bottom. That is interesting. Assuming that there is no good test for this, just have to keep dealing with the shit until it goes right. In hindsight, I am assuming that there is a difference between carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner? :Grenade:

**Edit, Edit**. Tried to pm you pirate. Any suggestions on a code reader?

Usually I'll clean them off then drive it and look for seaping where the bands are. Worst case you could cut the band add some new grease and reband. Won't hurt anything.

Carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner, either will work.

Tomorrow when I get back to work I'll look to see what test if any can be ran on the throttle body. As far as I can remember there's not much you can do. There's actually a tsb for the throttle for stalling on the 2010 f150s with the possibiltiy of no codes BUT its not for the 5.4.

The cheapy code reader I have is from matco. I'll look at some others when I get a chance. Probably won't be today though I'm in class for the rest of the day till nine.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Usually I'll clean them off then drive it and look for seaping where the bands are. Worst case you could cut the band add some new grease and reband. Won't hurt anything.

Carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner, either will work.

Tomorrow when I get back to work I'll look to see what test if any can be ran on the throttle body. As far as I can remember there's not much you can do. There's actually a tsb for the throttle for stalling on the 2010 f150s with the possibiltiy of no codes BUT its not for the 5.4.

The cheapy code reader I have is from matco. I'll look at some others when I get a chance. Probably won't be today though I'm in class for the rest of the day till nine.

No worries. Thanks for your help man. I ran by the stealership to get my purge valve. Know a service writer there, so I talked to him and a mechanico, The mechanic immediately said throttle body when I described my problem, said it wont throw codes either.

Asked about getting a tune up. $750. Didn't realize it was so expensive on these trucks!

Pirate, I am thinking of doing a tranny flush or a drain with filter. Which do you recommend?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow 750? The plugs are costly but shouldn't be that much. What all did they say they did during a "tune up"?

I prefer a flush. If its done proper it does a good job exchanging the fluid. A pan drop and re fill can't do the same. If the fluid comes out real, real dirty, I'll suggest doing both a flush and filter.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Installed the purge valve, changed oil, and checked tranny fluid tonight.

Tranny fluid is brown. Definitely going to do a flush.

Truck seems to be running fine. Still not sure about TC lockup though. 70 mph at 1900 rpm.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Installed the purge valve, changed oil, and checked tranny fluid tonight.

Tranny fluid is brown. Definitely going to do a flush.

Truck seems to be running fine. Still not sure about TC lockup though. 70 mph at 1900 rpm.

I replaced my fluid a few weeks ago and it was dark (had it done at the Ford shop and watched it being done--the techs said that it looked like it needed to be changed but the Ford fluid I do not know much about). 20k miles and I put the bigger pan on it holds 3 more qts plus it is finned. Amsoil is in there now so no worries until next year----always change mine every year. When I say change it is a flush. Expensive yes but I sleep better.