Help! Rough idle and stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gschiano27

Reaction score
Need some Help!
I have a 2013 Raptor 61k miles, I installed a K&N 77 Series CAI with a 5 Star 89 Daily Street Tune.
Since the install the truck has had a rough idle, Rpms get down to the point of near stall and has to catch back up. This happens both in Park, slowing to come to a stop or at a light, and in reverse.

It has stalled twice coming up a hill and around a turn near my house (thank god)
Low Oil Message pops up but the oil is fine. Truck starts right back up.

All spark plugs and wires were changed as well as #27 fuse as I’ve read that it could be the issue.

Could there be too much air flow? Does the tune need adjusted or is something going bad in the engine?

Ps I’m not a mechanic

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd check the maf sensor that was removed during the install first. The connection may not be fully made. The sensor itself may need to be cleaned. Next, I'd put the stock air cleaner back and get a refund on the k&n crap.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like unmetered air after your MAF or MAF sensor installed backwards . Check clamps at throttlebody .

Danner

Reaction score
After market intakes mess up the maf as well as let lots of dirt into the engine. I've seen so many with dirt inside the manifold.

OP
OP
Gschiano27

Gschiano27

Reaction score
Ever sort this out?
No I haven’t, just removed and cleaned the CAI Filter as well as the MAF last week. Didn’t have an issue until about an hour ago when I was at a stop light and RPMs dropped and then shot up thrusting the truck forward. I’m due for service so I’m going to remove everything and have ford see if they can diagnose

MachineGunT

Reaction score
Did you replace the canister purge valve? If you top your tank off at gas station it will cause them to fail with your symptoms!

OP
OP
Gschiano27

Gschiano27

Reaction score
Update: Took the truck to Ford Monday, diagnosed as a bad canister purge valve like you thought.
So far so good.

lorenzo_spag

Reaction score
I am having the same issue posted above. Idle rougher than I remember (I can feel it in my seat) and every 30 - 45 seconds when idling (in park, drive, neutral, or reverse), the RPM goes up slightly then drops really low to around 400RPM. Twice the truck has stalled. Issue seems to go away when I have more than 3/4 of a tank, and worsens as the fuel level is lower.

When I bought the truck it came with an aftermarket air filter. This week I finally got the stock air filter cover and air filter and put those back in, but that did not stop the issue.

Will order a new canister purge valve and see if it helps.

I also had code P0172 and P0175 (system too rich both banks) come up recently. Could these be from the bad valve? I erased the code after installing the new air filter and it has not come back on yet after about 60 miles.

lorenzo_spag

Reaction score
I am having the same issue posted above. Idle rougher than I remember (I can feel it in my seat) and every 30 - 45 seconds when idling (in park, drive, neutral, or reverse), the RPM goes up slightly then drops really low to around 400RPM. Twice the truck has stalled. Issue seems to go away when I have more than 3/4 of a tank, and worsens as the fuel level is lower.

When I bought the truck it came with an aftermarket air filter. This week I finally got the stock air filter cover and air filter and put those back in, but that did not stop the issue.

Will order a new canister purge valve and see if it helps.

I also had code P0172 and P0175 (system too rich both banks) come up recently. Could these be from the bad valve? I erased the code after installing the new air filter and it has not come back on yet after about 60 miles.
Forgot to update this post but replacing the purge valve fixed the issue and only took about 10 minutes.