HELP: Reset TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have your tire pressure right and you can enter in your programming mode for tpms system you don't need a specific tools to learn the tpms sensors. You need a strong magnet when it enters into programming you put the magnet to the tire and the horn will honk by each tire when you have done it right. Just a simple free way to do without having the special tool

This is good to know.

OP
OP
EAvila

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have your tire pressure right and you can enter in your programming mode for tpms system you don't need a specific tools to learn the tpms sensors. You need a strong magnet when it enters into programming you put the magnet to the tire and the horn will honk by each tire when you have done it right. Just a simple free way to do without having the special tool

Magnet didn't do anything. I must need a stronger magnet. :hmm:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
sticking it around the valve stem is one way if you have tpms monitors in the valve stem one of Ford's special tools is a magnet with a sticker on it same magnet you see stuck to bottom of trans pan. Ford likes to use a lot of TPMS sensors that are mounted to the wheel with a band. Typically when installed from the factory they are installed 180 degree off of the valve stem. Usually if you can get a magnet within 6inches of where you have located your TPMS sensor you should be able to activate it and speaker magnets to work great!

OP
OP
EAvila

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to Ford dealers today (and got a second opinion) and the magnet/manual procedure only works if you're "resetting" the original sensors as you would do after a tire rotation (described in the manual) or putting your originals in the new wheels/tires.

If you are adding new sensors, supposedly they need to be added to the ECU using a programmer. The fee for that is $39.95.

jdowens1

Reaction score
It can be done and if you check around maybe not in larger states our dealer will reprogram TPMS sensors complimentary. We haven't had a Ford authorized tool to fix or retrain TPMS for six months and magnet works everytime Ford tool on backorder since lost

jdowens1

Reaction score
I stand corrected the TPMS are mounted into the valve stem on raptor models but I guess the impact from people jumps would tear them off the bands pretty easy.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again. If the sensor still does not respond, attempt to activate the same sensor again using the customer activation tool (if available). If the sensor still fails to train, attempt to train the sensor with the vehicle doors open.

Hope this helps.

jdowens1

Reaction score
I'm just going to keep talking to myself on this thread. Starting in 2008 Ford started to include a TPMS learn tool in the vehicle they delievered. I know my Raptor didn't have one included. I do have the part number to buy one if you don't have one. 8C2Z-1A203-A . The list price on them is 57.00 basically if anyone is interested in buying one you can get them from your local dealer of I could probably get them a little cheaper for ya and just pay couple dollars for shipping.

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just going to keep talking to myself on this thread. Starting in 2008 Ford started to include a TPMS learn tool in the vehicle they delievered. I know my Raptor didn't have one included. I do have the part number to buy one if you don't have one. 8C2Z-1A203-A . The list price on them is 57.00 basically if anyone is interested in buying one you can get them from your local dealer of I could probably get them a little cheaper for ya and just pay couple dollars for shipping.

I didn't get one either. It would be nice to have one.