HELP: Reset TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK- so I replaced the wheels and tires and added a new set of TPMS sensors so can keep 2 sets of wheels/tires. Now I need help resetting the system to learn the new ones and get rid of the TPMS warning on the dash.

I tried the procedure in the manual (p246-248: Key on and off, then hazards 3 times on and off) and it has not been successful in even entering the reset TPMS mode. Without going to the dealer and having them do it or buying the tool, anyone got any tips?

UPDATE: OK, so when the manual says CYCLE, and shows a bi-directional arrow in the diagram:
2011-03-06_1115.png
apparently what they mean is to turn the vehicle on, rather than to cycle it on and off. Step one is out of the way, but it still won't recognize the sensors, so I may just go to dealer and have them do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EAvila

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the right sensors?
Well I was told they are the correct ones, but the initial problem was just getting the truck into the right mode, a step prior to even getting it to recognize the sensors.

With that out of the way, my next step is to determine if they are "recognizable". I've tried it a couple of times already with no success, and since the process involves removing air from the tires, I don't want to keep doing it since I can't refill them here at home (Nitrogen Filled) but I also apparently don't have my pressure gauge here to tell where they're at. I suspect that they need to drop to a "warning" level before the truck recognizes everything is OK.

OP
OP
EAvila

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the sensors light up the dash at 30psi. Where did you get your sensors from? kuz, supposedly these are GM sensors now.

They are these, but I got them from 4WheelParts:
Applications Page (note 2010,2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor)
Oro-tek's part # osc-0315
Ford factory part # 9L3Z-1A189-A

The reason is oro-tek's sensors all have the same casing and have a 30 degree adjustable valve stem attachment which will work with almost every wheel out there. Ford factory sensors are a fixed angle and may have issues on some aftermarket wheels.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
any tire shop should be able to wake them up and program them it only takes 2 minutes

OP
OP
EAvila

EAvila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any tire shop should be able to wake them up and program them it only takes 2 minutes
Yeah- mine said their tool was tool old. :hmm:
I guess I'll get a pressure gauge when I go out and lower them to the 30lbs, then at least I'll know they should have triggered if that's what the truck is checking for (why else would the process involve letting air out of your tires to reset them?).

The other alternative is I've heard people using a magnet to simulate this? Not sure if that would work and hopefully not negatively affect them in any way.

Either way, I have to go back to the tire shop to top the pressure off anyway, so perhaps I'll try patience for one day.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
If you have your tire pressure right and you can enter in your programming mode for tpms system you don't need a specific tools to learn the tpms sensors. You need a strong magnet when it enters into programming you put the magnet to the tire and the horn will honk by each tire when you have done it right. Just a simple free way to do without having the special tool