Help please 2017 vs 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have a 2017 Raptor with 30k miles. Been a great truck. Occasional shift issues and will not engage first gear occasionally when cold. I've been offered a good price on a 2020 Raptor. What differences have occurred since 2017? I presume the transmission has been refined. The new Fox Shocks seem to have better street feel.

Thoughts?

All problem areas improved/fixed plus the new stuff like shocks, trail control, etc, etc. Worth it to me depending on price.

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping the transmission is improved. Mine is OK, but often has abrupt shifts and the occasional free revving like it is in neutral, but is in drive. I think the suspension is going to convince me to update the truck. I'll miss the Avalanche Grey.

Ooh, Avalanche Grey was a badass color. Be tough for me to give that up.

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooh, Avalanche Grey was a badass color. Be tough for me to give that up.

Sorry, got trigger happy with the post reply button... at the end of the day, you gotta do what’s right in your mind after weighing in the entire process.

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was more composed, planted, both on and off road. It soaked up the rough bits better without shaking the truck apart. I’ve played with the pressures and I can’t get it close to how the 18 rode.

Thanks for the reply. I need to drive my 20 back to back with an 18 now haha.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned avoiding cam phaser problems yet. Maybe since your '17 has gotten 30k it's a good sign that you'll avoid that issue but you certainly don't have to worry about it on a '20.

AG is tough to beat but at least you can get LF as a consolidation.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have a 2017 Raptor with 30k miles. Been a great truck. Occasional shift issues and will not engage first gear occasionally when cold. I've been offered a good price on a 2020 Raptor. What differences have occurred since 2017? I presume the transmission has been refined. The new Fox Shocks seem to have better street feel.

Thoughts?

Thoughts. The real world difference is diddly shit, including how it looks.

Ain't a damn person anywhere that can tell the difference between my 2017 and a 2020, unless they are on this damn site.

you said you are having transmission issues. how about you put that warranty to good use.

you asked a specific question but gave general information.

The big question.

EXACTLY HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST TO MOVE FROM A 2017 TO A 2020.

No one can give you an opinion without that.

for $0. hell i'd do it

for $10k. get bent

Can't wait for the next question here:

"I really love salami on my sandwich's but I'm a bit fat, should I stop eating that?"

Last edited:

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get your tranny flashed by the dealer. There is a tranny fix update. Did it to my 17 and never had another issue.