Help please 2017 vs 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talldaddy

Reaction score
Hey. I have a 2017 Raptor with 30k miles. Been a great truck. Occasional shift issues and will not engage first gear occasionally when cold. I've been offered a good price on a 2020 Raptor. What differences have occurred since 2017? I presume the transmission has been refined. The new Fox Shocks seem to have better street feel.

Thoughts?

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how good the deal they’re going to give you is.

That transmission sounds like it’s going to give you problems down the road especially considering it was the first year, first application for the 10R80.

From what others have noted, the LiveValve shocks make a world of difference on the street.

OP
OP
T

talldaddy

Reaction score
Hoping the transmission is improved. Mine is OK, but often has abrupt shifts and the occasional free revving like it is in neutral, but is in drive. I think the suspension is going to convince me to update the truck. I'll miss the Avalanche Grey.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hoping the transmission is improved. Mine is OK, but often has abrupt shifts and the occasional free revving like it is in neutral, but is in drive. I think the suspension is going to convince me to update the truck. I'll miss the Avalanche Grey.

What is your build date? There was a TSB with a calibration update released for vehicles build on or before August 1st 2017 to resolve harsh and delayed shift concerns.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is your build date? There was a TSB with a calibration update released for vehicles build on or before August 1st 2017 to resolve harsh and delayed shift concerns.

Hopefully OP has better luck with that TSB than I did. I got it done to my 2018 and was ecstatic when I first got it back. I was finally able to drive around the city in sport mode and partial throttle without feeling like the transmission was going to fall out from under the truck. Unfortunately the excitement didn't last long because the harsh shifts came back a while later.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had an early build (11/7/16) 2017 that I put 42K miles on. It shifted great so I didn't get the TSB done.