Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Help on SPST relay to connect light bar to high beams

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Lighting Forum [GEN 2]' started by gneissday, May 10, 2017.

1. Kahuna

Kahuna Boats n Hoes

With the relay box I was using I had to use the 86 as ground if I wanted to fuse before the relay because 86 was connected to a built in bus bar.

I will try to update my picture in the next couple of days if I can get access to the computer with Visio.

2. Kahuna

Kahuna Boats n Hoes

I can't edit my original picture (post #28) on this thread so here is the corrected diagram. I left 85/86 connections as they were because they are interchangeable and that's what works with the Bussman box the way I configured it with fuses before the relays.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45 Full Access Member

Wouldn't you be energizing relay 1-5 with the high beam trigger and high lifter switch 6?

Wouldn't this path have to travel through the diodes like in your last schematic?

You current travels through the diodes in the direction of the arrow.

4. Kahuna

Kahuna Boats n Hoes

On researching a little further it seems you are right and my diodes were correct in the first place. :mad: I will revise when I can.

sixshooter_45 likes this.
  5. Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon Full Access Member

How do you wire this specifically?

6. WARP6

WARP6 Member

this

7. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

it helps to see a relay diagram illustrated.

[​IMG]

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...-with-upfitter-triggering.71631/#post-1404343

In relevant part:
    'Wired this way, when you hit the up fitter, via pin 86, it’s the ‘trigger’ that activates the relay coil. This sends power via 87 or battery positive through pin 30 to the lights.

Turn the up fitter off; hit high beam switch and 87a sends current through 30 to the lights.
    So what if you have an up fitter on and turn on high beams? Only one of the 2 pins 87 and 87a get power at a time. The relay is basically a switch.’

ETA: this is a simplistic 2 trigger scheme, and will always come on with the high beams OR the up fitter switch. there are other ways to wire such as a switch to enable high beam trigger OR to come on with an up fitter. That I think would require some extra effort.

8. MattR

MattR Member

I did it a few weeks ago as mentioned earlier and it has worked well. I tapped into the high beam wire behind the Driver side headlight (grey with orange stripe), and taped it to the harness included in the kit all the way to the relay. It isn't triggering itself on reflective signs, and the upfitter switch turns it off while in the city.

On the relay, 85 to ground, 30 to upfitter, 86 to high beam, and 87 to light harness hot. I clipped and capped the 87a...If you want to have the option of cutting them on without the high beam, you could wire another relay in sync with that one, but I didn't see the need to have the fogs on without the high beam.