Help needed. Loud noise at cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlos chavez

Reaction score
Hello. looking for some help diagnosing a loud noise I'm having only at cold starts. I've seen videos of cam phaser and waste gates noises and the noise I have is different. It is louder and lasts only 1 or 2 seconds. Might be the cam phaser but I'm not an expert and I cant tell. Hopefully someone has experienced the same and can share his experience. I'm attaching a video

thank you
View attachment WhatsApp Video 2021-08-31 at 6.57.38 AM.mp4

OP
OP
Carlos chavez

Carlos chavez

Reaction score
Confirmed.. cam phaser noise. I am doing the priming process before a cold start and I have been able to eliminate the noise. Is there a fix for this other than spending big $ taking it to the shop for a major rapair to replace the cam phasers?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No fix other than changing the phasers. Its a locking pin inside the phaser that fails.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Confirmed.. cam phaser noise. I am doing the priming process before a cold start and I have been able to eliminate the noise. Is there a fix for this other than spending big $ taking it to the shop for a major rapair to replace the cam phasers?
There is a recall with extended warranty coverage up to 70,000 miles. If you bought the truck brand new and are over 70K, you can contact Ford Customer Service to see if they'll good will the repair or cover a portion. Although I do see you're in Mexico, not sure how that affects coverage.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 has done it since about 35K miles. I’m at almost 94K miles now. It hasn’t gotten worse or better on startup and I’ve never had the phaser issue addressed.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing my wife's ecoboost expedition is doing and like others have mentioned there is a "Phaser Rattle" at startup Recall. It's a computer reset I believe. The rattle apparently is harmless but annoying as hell and obviously if it can be addressed then it should be. I'm taking it in ASAP. It's a 2019 stealth edition with only 27k miles.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If and when you get your phasers reloaded, and it’s still making a rattling noise, then it’s going to most likely be the waste gates that Ford won’t replace.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If and when you get your phasers reloaded, and it’s still making a rattling noise, then it’s going to most likely be the waste gates that Ford won’t replace.
Phaser noise is completely different from wastegate rattle. You seem to be cross posting the same claims over multiple threads, what is the issue?