Help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have 4 D2s one set white and one set amber both driving pattern. I have my whites angled outward to pickup the HID cut off and the ambers aimed straight ahead to act as running lights.

I'm torn between getting two M&R bars 30&40 behind the grill or get the 21' vision X extreme in the lower bumper.

I can get both the M&R bars for pretty much the same price as the 21' vision x.

I'm kind of skeptical of placing bars behind the grill. I know a lot of guys do it..just worried about waisted light.

I was also thinking of just getting one vision x 40 or 30inch extreme and mounting on a bar but then I worry about it getting stolen and or blocking my front camera.

If I go behind the grill I'll go with the 2 "cheaper" bars..if I go outside the grill I'll go vision x either the 21 extreme or a 40inch on some kind of bar.

I also have to have a front plate in VA so any ideas on placement if I go with the 21' bar in the bumper. I know you can flip the bracket and have your plate above your bar...any other ideas shoot.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I can say I like the bars behind the grill.

If you get the brackets right and place them appropriately you can get the optimal alignment with the slot above and below the FORD in the grill. It still blocks a lot of light but it is still bright and will light up the night. My neighbor a block away called me and told me that "Ray Charles called and asked to turn off the light"

I also have 4 D2's 2 Amber and 2 White along with my 2 Whelen Micro Pioneers. I can turn my lights behind the grill off and turn the 2 white D2's and 2 Whelen Micro Pioneer and they are about the same brightness as my 2 bars are behind the grill.

I went this route since I put a winch in the front of the truck.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
BobbyVA

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on bars to mount a 30 or 40 inch on that wont block the front camera.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 40 inch M&R behind my grill. Sold it and got the M&R hood mounts and they're significantly brighter then the 40 inch behind the grill. Of course I also have a 50 inch radius bar and a 20 inch in my bumper

image-4176445753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

D

Deleted member 12951

I am amazed at the light output of the Whelens. Not to knock M&R but I ended up going with Blackhawks for the 30 and 40 for the only reason because they have a lifetime and M&R is 3yrs I believe. It was only $100 more for the pair. I just put three 12" whelens up top and its crazy light, big smile!

9y6e9a4u.jpg

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 21" Xmitter will outshine anything behind the grill. That light is insane. Plenty of our customers on here will agree with that statement

OP
OP
BobbyVA

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James,

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that Vision X bar.

I purchased my 4 D2s and brackets from you. Customer service was great! What ever I go with ill def order from you again.

I have 2 white D2s (driving pattern) on the outside position slightly pointed outward to pick up the HID cut off off the side of the truck.

The amber lights are aimed straight and act as running lights.

That being said if I order the Vision X 21inch should I go 40/10 combo or all 10 spot?

My two white D2s pick up the sides of the road well so I was leaning toward the all 10 spot to throw more light down range.

If I decide on the 30inch version of the 21inch vision X bar what what you suggest using to mount it on the stock bumper without blocking my front tag.

Last edited:

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
James,

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that Vision X bar.

I purchased my 4 D2s and brackets from you. Customer service was great! What ever I go with ill def order from you again.

I have 2 white D2s (driving pattern) on the outside position slightly pointed outward to pick up the HID cut off off the side of the truck.

The amber lights are aimed straight and act as running lights.

That being said if I order the Vision X 21inch should I go 40/10 combo or all 10 spot?

My two white D2s pick up the sides of the road well so I was leaning toward the all 10 spot to throw more light down range.

If I decide on the 30inch version of the 21inch vision X bar what what you suggest using to mount it on the stock bumper without blocking my front tag.

Haha that's what I'm here for! Stick with the 10 degree you'll get the most output that way since you already have the D2s. If you do the 30" I would have to see what options you have as we have never done something that size without blocking the plates :) for a bolt on install the 21 would be the best option!