Help me choose between these two gen2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
The sunroof is a dealbreaker for me, nothing but a maintenance hazard down the road. The 2019 deal is only $2K more than I’ll be paying for my 2020 802A Scab I just ordered, so it seems like a great deal. At the end of the day these trucks are so expensive I recommend getting exactly what you want rather than what’s convenient. $14K isn’t nothing, but over 7 years it’s not too bad.

What about this truck for $66K plus shipping?

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2019-ford-raptor-fully-loaded-1100-miles.76234/

Thanks. I’ve seen that truck and it’s great because no taxes on private party and it’s basically new. But I cannot stand that velocity blue. I’d consider performance blue but I’m pretty set on Magnetic or Leadfoot. I’d have to wrap that truck which would be another $5k or so

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve seen that truck and it’s great because no taxes on private party and it’s basically new. But I cannot stand that velocity blue. I’d consider performance blue but I’m pretty set on Magnetic or Leadfoot. I’d have to wrap that truck which would be another $5k or so

I get it, there are certain things we can’t compromise on. I could live with the blue, and my brother lives near Seattle, but I couldn’t live the sunroof and don’t prefer a Screw.

The dealer I ordered mine from has both a red or white 800A with torsion Screw available that he made me a solid offer on, I couldn’t do it. The white one would cost me about $53K. I need at least 801A and really prefer the Scab, so I’m spending $63K plus taxes and such.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
I get it, there are certain things we can’t compromise on. I could live with the blue, and my brother lives near Seattle, but I couldn’t live with a Screw or the sunroof.

Exactly. I will rarely use The sunroof so maybe I won’t ever have any issues. And knowing me I’ll only have the truck for 2-3 yrs

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Exactly. I will rarely use The sunroof so maybe I won’t ever have any issues. And knowing me I’ll only have the truck for 2-3 yrs

As you were. It is exactly this use case that gives the F150 moon roof fits. When it sits for long periods, and who knows how long it has to be, the glass begins to stick to the rubber gasket. This stiction can be strong enough to misalign and break the track the rear sliding glass runs in. If the track breaks and leaves debris in the channel the glass can stick to the rear, leaving your roof with a hole in it.

a couple workarounds have been documented by users here - pop the glass to vent position first, and in so doing, push up to assist the glass opening if it’s sat for a while. next, lube it up with the Ford Krytox grease. I don’t know how often this is required and frankly there are probably a lot of environmental variables but it’s pretty easy to break. Mine sat unused for about 6-8 weeks and broke when I sent it to the rear without knowing this particular idiosyncrasy.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you were. It is exactly this use case that gives the F150 moon roof fits. When it sits for long periods, and who knows how long it has to be, the glass begins to stick to the rubber gasket. This stiction can be strong enough to misalign and break the track the rear sliding glass runs in. If the track breaks and leaves debris in the channel the glass can stick to the rear, leaving your roof with a hole in it.

a couple workarounds have been documented by users here - pop the glass to vent position first, and in so doing, push up to assist the glass opening if it’s sat for a while. next, lube it up with the Ford Krytox grease. I don’t know how often this is required and frankly there are probably a lot of environmental variables but it’s pretty easy to break. Mine sat unused for about 6-8 weeks and broke when I sent it to the rear without knowing this particular idiosyncrasy.

Huh? Old Fart, you around? You down with this?

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We don’t use the sunroof in our Touareg, it hadn’t been opened since September 2018. I’ve been meaning to lube it for a while, so yesterday I opened it after washing the truck while everything was still wet figuring all the seals would be slicker. It worked out ok and I cleaned/lubed everything. I’ll try to remember to do it every 3 months or so going forward. I’m paranoid about the damn thing breaking and costing a bunch of money. No way I’d want one on an offroad truck.

OP
OP
chi_weezy

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Not worried about the sunroof and prob won’t have the truck in 2-3 years. I think I’m going with the 2019. Will make a post when I get the beast. Thanks everyone

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This!

Just paid my dues and purchased my $20 .5 oz bottle of liquid gold... I mean Krytox grease. This will be my weekend project.

To the OP - buy the truck you want - the 2019. If you buy the 2018, you’ll regret it every time you put the key in the ignition. And the one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned yet, is that you have no idea how the 2018 was treated. One could do a lot of wear and tear in just 10,000 miles with a Raptor. As soon as I saw the truck had a Pedal Commander, I’d turn and walk away.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man... I was just looking (again) at all the stuff the 802a package gives you and totally forgot about the folding mirrors. I park my truck in the garage and that’s an absolute must for me. For me, no folding mirrors, no purchase truck!

62BB376E-6937-49B2-8BEF-B9F4BA1A4913.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Additionally, using Forscan, you can set up Lincoln folding mirrors that automatically fold when you lock the door by handle or remote or inside button + door close and unlock with the start button. Very handy for tight parking spaces.