Help, I am at a loss (Random Stalling)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Superbia

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I am currently at a loss for how to explain what happened. Basically, my truck is stalling. I have no idea how, and i can't recreate the problem. This is the second time it has done this in the past two weeks, however the conditions were completely different.

Stall 1:
Truck was driven all day with no problems. Parked for roughly 2 hours, then driven about 20 miles on an 80 mph highway. Parked for roughly 30 minutes at a resturaunt. It was chilly (30-40 degrees). Remote started fine. Hopped in it and it was running fine. Pressed the on button, and put it into reverse. It started to chug and sputter like it had bad fuel or something. Then it settled down. Turned out of the parking lot, and the engine surged then lost all power. It then stalled out and i coasted off the road. Put it in park and tried restarting it. It fired up after a bit of a struggle, but it was still only one press of the button. I let it sit for a minute or two, then tried driving home. 20 miles on an 80 mph highway, and it didn't so much as sputter.

That was Nov 17th. No issues since. Did some light but spirited desert running over the weekend, and it was perfectly responsive. No indication that the stall was anything other than a fluke. Until now.

Stall 2:
Truck was driven all day. Auto started in the morning (20 degrees). Drove to work fine. Drove home for lunch, parked for about 30 min. (50 degrees). Started fine, and drove back to work without any fuss. Pulled up to the key card reader and stopped to swipe my card. Truck seemed like it wanted to Auto start/stop but immediatly shut off and blared every warning and malfunction it could (Distance, headlights, wipers, front camera, anything that has a sensor and will warn you when it fails.) Put it in park and pressed start. It fired up immediatly, and the only indication that anything had failed was the message about distance control. Within 20 feet, that was gone as well. The truck drove fine, steering felt a bit heavy (might be in my head), but otherwise it drove to the lot and parked fine.

No CEL illuminated for either stall.
No Loud noises on cold start.
No Chugging or surging when driving. (except stall #1)

2020 Raptor

The truck has had issues in the past, but that was 20k miles ago, and the dealer did a complete inspection of all hoses and wires. I have had no issues since then, with the exception of a driver door lock that wouldn't unlock except with the inside door handle. That was 2 months ago. Again, happened then went away and couldn't be recreated.
I'm currently stuck in the same boat as some of you, with a 2021 Gen 3 order that seems to have dissappeared, but a dealer that refuses to acknowledge and keeps swearing that it will be built. (He still has my "non refundable" deposit..) He also refuses to let me switch the deposit to a 2022 order. So I am stuck with this truck for the forseeable future, overall I do like it, so I really would like to be able to trust the damn thing..

Any help would be appreciated, because I have absolutely no idea how i can explain this to the dealer. They already turned me away because they couldn't recreate the door issue, and I am highly doubtful they will help without any CEL's or really any indication of what is wrong. I had to move across the country for work, and live in a small town. Nearest Ford dealer is 30 min away. Or 2hrs for the other two "close" dealers.. Now im worried that it will fail for good and strand me somewhere.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year is the truck? If all of the warning messages appeared there will be DTCs in multiple modules that may indicate the nature of the fault. Anything aftermarket on the truck?

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you by any chance had the recent cam phaser software update?
My truck experienced shudder as well as a stumbling idle when slowing to a full stop. Seemed to want to stall.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
based on your remoteness from a stealership, I’d suggest getting a FORSCAN license and download (on to a windoze laptop) and an OBD2 adapter. This will allow you to both pull and clear DTC’s. You’re interested in pulling them to see if they point to some kind of common cause and problem. That’s an oddball problem too.

@FordTechOne and @GCATX are on the right path - do you have any aftermarket stuff on the truck - anything? No judgment, it’s just to look for known or common issues. Later year Jen Too trucks are somewhat less tolerant of pedal commanders. An aftermarket tune could also contribute and if I’m honest, quite lot more given how interconnected the truck modules are.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Superbia

Reaction score
The Truck is a 2020, (I’m a Chevy convert, and I haven’t gotten the hang of the cab size terminology. I want to say crew cab but i feel like that’s wrong. So we’ll go with “the bigger four door version”) 802 and from what I can tell it was optioned to the moon.

As far as mods, from what I’ve found, the previous owner installed an aFe intake (looks like the one that attaches to the stock air box) an aFe cat back exhaust. The intake has quite a bit of tubing with it, and I’m not entirely sure that it doesn’t also have their other piping options as well. Nothing else stood out to me as modified.
I installed a turbo smart BoV. It does not feel tuned, or else it is way bogged down and I just assumed it was supposed to run that way. And if I remember correctly a pedal commander should have a switch somewhere or some obvious hardware. I do not see anything like that.

The dealership I bought it from insists that they hooked it up, scanned it, and did not find any tune. Though they do insist they accidentally missed the pretty obvious lift kit, so I don’t know what to believe with them. (Part of the reason I was really hoping my gen3 order would come through).. As far as the phaser update, I can’t find any info saying it has or has not had it.

I do have a portable OBD II reader that can scan the truck. I just don’t have a windows computer that’ll allow me to install FORScan (corporate IT really doesn’t like approving outside software or downloads..) all of my personal devices are apple (which I’m starting to regret as I can’t seem to run anything good on them)
I’m not sure what I would need to scan for to determine if the truck had been tuned, but if you guys have suggestions I’ll hook it up and see if I can find the files.

Oh! It has occasionally gotten a CEL for a crankshaft ventilation hose issue. This is rare but maybe 5-10 times in 20k miles. Dealer recommended just clearing it when it pops up, as they couldn’t find anything actually wrong. From what I’ve found, it’s a known side effect of the aFe intakes. I don’t know if that helps, but I will try to get more info!

Sorry for rambling, it has been a long day, and I’m frantically searching the web to try to find a solution lol. Forgive any formatting errors, I’m on my phone.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get rid of the intake and put a factory one back on, that's my suggestion. The (any) dealer can tell if the phaser's have been done, especially if it's warranty. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of hacks or at least whoever you're dealing with.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What he said. The ’19-’20 Raptors are less tolerant of sensor readings outside the ranges and maybe that’s because the sensor ranges are tighter or more precise.

I hear you on the Windoze compatibility, it’s a chore sometimes to be using apple stuff.
It has occasionally gotten a CEL for a crankshaft ventilation hose issue. This is rare but maybe 5-10 times in 20k miles. Dealer recommended just clearing it when it pops up, as they couldn’t find anything actually wrong. From what I’ve found, it’s a known side effect of the aFe intakes. I don’t know if that helps, but I will try to get more info!

yes, that is clueful information.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Have you done any engine tuning or reset adaptive learning lately?

I've been doing a lot of tuning on my truck lately and one of the side effects of loading a new tune and or resetting ECU learning is that your truck will have to re-learn idle. For me (2017), the truck sometimes idles down way low... about 500rpm and shakes a bit like it is about to stall. If idle speed is above 600rpm on my motor it seems quite smooth.

By tuning and then driving your vehicle, it is possible that you aren't spending enough time at idle for the truck to re-learn idle speed. This is compounded on a cold morning. Cold starts exacerbate the issue as the truck is now adding fuel but also struggling with learning idle speed.

These engines often need to be warm before the ECU learns these parameters. Simply cold starting, idling for a while, and then driving away isn't good enough to learn in this area. I'd recommend letting it idle for a bit AFTER going for a brief drive and warming it up (esp in cold weather). Let it idle in park / neutral for a while. Put your foot on the brake and let it idle in "D" for a bit too. Heck, find a drive through with a long line and kill two birds with one stone.

Hope it's a simple fix!

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Depending on your build date, you may not need the cam phaser update. I'd try to go back to stock on the intake like someone previously suggested.