Help/guess the leak....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was changing the oil today and looking things over as I do with every oil change and noticed a drip on the bottom side (see pics) of the timing chain gasket/cover area (?). It appears to be dry everywhere else in the engine bay and the plastic oil pan is clean/dry, so it's not coming from there. Turbos looked okay too. I use 1 qt of oil every 5000 miles and that has not changed recently.

Anyone else run into to this? Coincidentally, the horn was replaced today (3 hours labor btw + $30 horn = $340). Truck has 51,000 miles on it and is a 2017 802A.

timing chain gasket 2.jpg
timing chain gasket 3.jpg
Timing chain gasket1.jpg

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's a good sign for other readers if I'm the first one to report oil dripping from the timing chain cover/gasket....?

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it might just be surface oil dripping to the lowest point. Spray down your engine avoiding the electronics the check it again in couple weeks. I spray some Gunk Original Engine Cleaner under the engine, the drain plug, and under the oil filter. Spots where oil gets into during oil changes. If a dealer or quickie shop ever changed your oil then its almost guaranteed spilled oil from fill tube or filter.

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am the one who has completed every oil change. Good idea with the Gunk Original Engine Cleaner. I wiped it down real well after taking pics in case of future dealership/warranty repair. I will give it another week and crawl back under there as the snow has been crushing it here.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am the one who has completed every oil change. Good idea with the Gunk Original Engine Cleaner. I wiped it down real well after taking pics in case of future dealership/warranty repair. I will give it another week and crawl back under there as the snow has been crushing it here.

If you spray the engine with gunk get the whole timing chain cover too. You'd be amazed how far one little spill of Synthetic Oil will travel! I had a case of Castrol Syntec where the oil was seeping through the bottle cover gaskets!

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.... I took all the skid plates off today to better evaluate things and the bottom of the timing chain cover was clean, but along the passenger side plate it was not. Here are some additional pics. I will take it to the dealership in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.... I took all the skid plates off today to better evaluate things and the bottom of the timing chain cover was clean, but along the passenger side plate it was not. Here are some additional pics. I will take it to the dealership in the next couple of weeks.

View attachment 133542
View attachment 133544
View attachment 133545

Just for closure and follow-up if anyone else has the same issue. It was the timing chain cover sealant. Dealership did an oil dye test to confirm. Everything tore apart yesterday and resealed. We shall see how well it holds up.