Help decide on 3 options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to your first question... I go back and forth between M3s (e36, e46, e92) and Raptors (Stock Gen 1, Supercharged Gen 1, Driven a friend's Gen 2). The transition is easy. Truck drives very well and has a sporty feeling compared to a normal truck. You'll be surprised how much you'll like it after you daily it for a month or so. I didn't want both so I'd sell the truck to buy a sports car, get over the sports car very quickly and pick up another truck. I usually kept the M3 for 6 months and the Truck for a year. Overall I like the truck more. If you're keeping the S2K, you'll be fine, you can always drive that for your thrill. I traveled a lot for work for a couple years and rented all kinds of cars (trucks, SUVs, Cars). I was always excited to get home and drive my Raptor.

In regards to what truck to buy... the prices between a good deal on a new one and a CPO are close enough where it'll be worth getting a new one. I looked at new, but decided to go with a low mileage Gen 1.

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor used for around 59K (72K MSRP) when it had like 5K on the odo, I've had no real issues and I'm at 20K miles now (only small issue was with passenger side seat heater that Ford warranty claim fixed).

Also, take a look at residual and trade value on all 3 (assume the new one has 1K miles to compare), it's easier to get right side up on a used one rather than a new one, especially if you have a smaller down payment. This is only important if you need to sell it due to an unforeseen event or you have a full on scrap (need to know about the GAP). On the other hand, if you're down payment is the Civic R and that's paid off, get the new one.

Good luck!

FlaRod

Reaction score
Well. I never trust what people do maintenance wise, or how hard they drive something, especially any kind of performance vehicle. So, my vote is to go new. At least that way you know what you have, how it has been maintained and if you have beat the bejesus out of it mudding....

Green Goblin

Reaction score
As far as adapting from a sporty car, I too (like anothervr6kid) transitioned from driving M3’s. It’s interesting how many on the forum have had m3’s btw. You’ll find acceleration and handling to be slower, but now you can relax and not cringe when you hit potholes, and you might even accelerate over speed bumps and transitions you cringed over before. It’s a hellava lot of fun. It’s a truck - treat it like one :)

Bowser

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I may actually do option D. Found a Rapid red with the options I want except for the carbon fiber package. If he is within $1000 to the ‘19 I am taking it and running lol. Will know more tomorrow. Just curious can that package be added after the fact? thanks again
You can. I seem to recall parts where around 1000. I don't know how difficult the install would be.

OP
OP
B

bigsakius

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, still working on the deals but hopefully will know something soon. I am really digging the Maroon Red ones the best so far.

OP
OP
B

bigsakius

Reaction score
I think you guys are right in having this truck will be fun. I have had 3/4 ton diesels in the past and while nice trucks I got bored with them and ended up with a sports sedan of some sort (EvoX, ATSV, and now the Type R). I just don't want to regret selling the R for something twice as expensive and I don't think I will.

Tomhorn

Reaction score
Have had golf tdi hondas galore have a 19 passport for winter had my fastest trip San Diego to NJ in 40 hrs nonstop just completed another cross country in 19 rap supercab with the fur missile 40 hrs with stops for hound raptor is superb plus my AZ ponderosa is 10 miles off paved road i am amazed at the job ford did with this vehicle have 14 supercrew both trucks ate engineering marvels never been so comfortable on a nonstop drive as in the rap

vtown76

Reaction score
These cars are getting too technical to work on yourself nowadays the exception being some minor maintenance things.
Completely not true. If anything They are easier than they were in the late 80s and 90’s with all the vacuum lines. Now you plug in your OBD scanner and it pretty much tells you what is wrong

OP
OP
B

bigsakius

Reaction score
Thanks to Idaho I was able deal on a used 2020 Rapid Red. This one had some goodies too so super happy! Has 8300 miles. Can’t wait till itS delivered on monday.

Last edited: