Help choosing lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemanjoe

Reaction score
I’m looking to fill the bumper with a set of rigid or Baja designs fog lights. I need help choosing which type of lights will work best (flood, spot, driving, combo, sae, etc...) my driving conditions will mostly be clear with the occasional snow so I would like to add one amber in there but don’t know if a flood or spot would be best. Any suggestions?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, can’t go wrong with BD! Got mine from 4x4 trucks at a great price too. I’m with you on the ambers too, should’ve done the custom kit but luckily you can order lenses from BD

@4x4TruckLEDs.com

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja designs squadrons are really good. I have squadron pros in wide and spot (one each) plus a single s1 on the outside of the pocket. They are great in every way. Can’t use these ones on the road tho —- too bright for oncoming traffic.

However if I was doing it again for off-road, I’d do pillar lights first with XL80s. Way better long range. That was my second light mod and they are so much better than the three in the bumper.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m looking to fill the bumper with a set of rigid or Baja designs fog lights. I need help choosing which type of lights will work best (flood, spot, driving, combo, sae, etc...) my driving conditions will mostly be clear with the occasional snow so I would like to add one amber in there but don’t know if a flood or spot would be best. Any suggestions?

Hold out for Black Friday sales.

The deals are always at least somewhat enticing.

I have 3x squadron pros up front per side
SAE, driving combo and spot.

I’d be careful about the amber choice, the wide corner B/D lens puts light -everywhere-, combo is half spot, half wide corner.

IMO, the SAE B/D are a little weak. They have good color, good corner throw, but distance is a little low. Fortunately they’re not very expensive. For the footprint, they’re a bit inefficient. That said, they’re good to have for a street legal option.
I ran the wide corner squadron sports up front for a year, and if roadside critters are a concern, wide corner lenses should be a part of your setup. They really work close in. If I wasn’t needing an SAE option, I’d have a wide corner pro up front too.

My inclination is to go with amber driving combo. The good news is, if you’re not happy with them, you can swap lenses on the B/D lights (that aren’t too old, when the screw seize up).

If you need an SAE light, I’d consider amber for that, since they’re not the strongest already and add in driving combo and spot, else I’d do wide corner, combo, spot each, per side.

@Ryan C makes a good point, the XL80’s throw about 2x the light of a squadron pro, so a set of those on the pillars goes a long, long, long, long, long way.

What’s your budget?

OP
OP
F

firemanjoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I’m not in a huge rush, I think I’ll wait until Black Friday sales. I would like to keep my cost under $700 if possible.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you should be able to do some lights for 700. Remember, you can always retask. if you get a set of sport lights for up front, next year, replace with pros, move the sports to the rear. I did this, my wide corner squadron sports now light up for reverse or up fitter 6. :)

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hey there. So we manufacture our own brackets right here on Long Island out of stainless steel (and powder coat them) for use with 3 pairs of fog lights.

Baja Designs are our favorite AND are the most popular.

We put together a complete kit where you can pick the lights you want, and we include everything you need. Use coupon code FOGS and you'll save some $$ as well:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-f...ght-kit-w-baja-designs-lights-build-your-kit/

For the light choices, we actually list a few recommendations on our site in the product description.

Since you have some snow I'd give you 2 options

RECOMMENDATION #1 (Locations with Snow)

• Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering
  • Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering, Amber
  • Squadron Pro, Driving/Combo

Squadron SAE Wide Cornering lights will give you a street legal output. The Wide Cornering lights are great for general road use.
Squadron SAE Wide Cornering Amber lights are good for bad weather (such as snow, rain, fog, etc...). The amber (yellow light actually) is ideal for those conditions and will cut down on the light reflecting back. It's also more visible to other drivers on the road.
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo is the perfect light to use off-roading. It has a Spot and Wide Cornering pattern so it'll throw light down range and cover the front of your path as well. A great overall road for off-road use.

RECOMMENDATION #2
  • Squadron Sport, Wide Cornering
  • Squadron Sport, Wide Cornering, Amber
Basically the same setup as above but if you don't REQUIRE the SAE rated lights, we're upgrading you to some Sports. As long as they are aimed down below your headlights you won't have issues on the road using them (but keep in mind thy are NOT SAE/DOT rated, but again, you shouldn't have any issues).

I always recommend the 3rd set be a Pro Driving/Combo as it gives you spot and wide cornering in 1 light. A great "high beam" or "off road" light to fill everywhere.

On my own truck. I run
  • Squadron Pro, Wide Cornering
  • Squadron Pro, Wide Cornering, Amber
I have no issues with blinding anybody and have a ton of light.

Raptor3.jpg

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for an alternative opinion, due to the snow here in Salt Lake, I like running two Amber lights. I've been very happy with the Diode Dynamics SAE Fog and SAE Driving. As I recall from back when I bought them, the fogs are legal with low-beams, the driving are legal only when high-beams could be used. But the combination of amber wide (fogs) and amber long (driving) is powerful in the rain/snow. And I'm fine running the ambers when others might want white for wide. I just didn't see the point of having both an amber and white light for wide. Others disagree so to each their own.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just for an alternative opinion, due to the snow here in Salt Lake, I like running two Amber lights. I've been very happy with the Diode Dynamics SAE Fog and SAE Driving. As I recall from back when I bought them, the fogs are legal with low-beams, the driving are legal only when high-beams could be used. But the combination of amber wide (fogs) and amber long (driving) is powerful in the rain/snow. And I'm fine running the ambers when others might want white for wide. I just didn't see the point of having both an amber and white light for wide. Others disagree so to each their own.

The Diode Dynamics are popular. They make a fantastic SAE light that has a lot more output over the Baja Designs SAE light. We stock a ton of Diode Dynamics here as well and offer a complete kit with Diode Dynamics lights:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-diode-dynamics-stage-series-3/

Diode_Dynamics__01403.1579651774.jpg