Help! 2013 whipple sc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhippleSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys! Hoping Ive put this in the proper thread. I have a 2013 raptor 6.2 w/ a whipple s/c. Just bought it a week ago. Having some issues I am not sure I can figure out. The truck did not come with a tuner, but the dealer has ordered an sct tuner and a new tune from JDM. Heres my problem; Under 1/3 throttle and above the truck starts to take off but I get a flickering message in the message center and power cuts out. The message would ficker so fast I couldnt read it, so I took a slow motion video with my phone in hopes to see what the message says. After watching the clip the message reads "power reduced to lower engine temperature". However, the temp gauge is always on the colder side of normal and there is no check engine light. I was told it could be a thermostat issue, or could be a cht sensor. Either way the truck is not running hot but thinks it is. Would a new tune fix this issue or do I have a different issue here?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! The tune should be here tuesday. Here is a clip to help clarify.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor isn't bad, it would mean the whole SC assemble has to come off.
Have you tried moving the wiring harness coming out of the back of the passenger side manifold?

You'll find out more when the dealer gets the Tuner, is the dealer doing the work?

Here's a video of a NA 6.2L where a mouse screwed this guy.
We wouldn't have this problem because the SC closes access to this area.
But I just wanted to show you where the CHT Sensor is.
It's the one on the cylinder head on the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhippleSVT

WhippleSVT

Reaction score
I hope the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor isn't bad, it would mean the whole SC assemble has to come off.
Have you tried moving the wiring harness coming out of the back of the passenger side manifold?

You'll find out more when the dealer gets the Tuner, is the dealer doing the work?

Here's a video of a NA 6.2L where a mouse screwed this guy.
We wouldn't have this problem because the SC closes access to this area.
But I just wanted to show you where the CHT Sensor is.
It's the one on the cylinder head on the right.

Yeah i hope thats not the problem either. They will be doing the work either way, id just rather not have it be down too long. Its just troubling to me that the temp gauge doesnt climb but the truck thinks its too hot. How would it know?! Is there another sensor that checks temperature?

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad you don't have an SCT because you can use that to check actual coolant temp. I personally don't put much stock in the factory gauges.

OP
OP
WhippleSVT

WhippleSVT

Reaction score
Cylinder Head Temperature sensor is different than the coolant temperature sensor.

Thats what I figured, just suprised im not getting a code for the faulty sensor or high temps. The gauge on the cluster is coolant temp I would assume, and the cht would be something I would need the sct to check correct? The dealer had everything appart prior to me purchasing it to replace the oil pump and some other things. Could it be that the sensor didnt get connected? Would that throw a code?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats what I figured, just suprised im not getting a code for the faulty sensor or high temps. The gauge on the cluster is coolant temp I would assume, and the cht would be something I would need the sct to check correct? The dealer had everything appart prior to me purchasing it to replace the oil pump and some other things. Could it be that the sensor didnt get connected? Would that throw a code?

I made a mistake on the coolant temp, the PCM uses the Cylinder Head Sensor.

It should, knock on wood but I never had the issue so I can't say.

Last edited:

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why were they replacing the oil pump? Typically, when the oil pump goes (which happens due to the weak stock oil pump gears), it causes a catastrophic engine failure.

OP
OP
WhippleSVT

WhippleSVT

Reaction score
Why were they replacing the oil pump? Typically, when the oil pump goes (which happens due to the weak stock oil pump gears), it causes a catastrophic engine failure.

You could hear a constant tick that didnt seem to change with rpm so they pulled it apart and rebuilt it. Would a too low of a thermostat cause this message to come up?