HELP 13 SCREW with whirling 4wd noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svxwilson

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some help with my 2013 SCREW. When I purchased it (1.5yrs ago) it had a unusual 4wd sound that mostly presented itself when in 4wd and decelerating using the driveline and no breaks.

I made sure I purchased a Ford ESP to protect my investment as I was unsure about the noise. None of the other Raptors I test drove had the noise but the one I bought was in the best overall condition which is why I picked it.

Fast forward to March this year. I was getting close to the end of our ESP and figured I needed to get the sound figured out. So I started the process with my local Ford garage where I purchased the Raptor.

Over the course of several months they have repaired/replaced the front diff, transfer case and transmission. It seemed that the noise got worse, especially after they worked on the front diff.

Because they had not figured it out yet and the truck still had the same problem they called a Ford "engineer" to come check it out. The engineer drove another used Raptor on the lot and heard the same noise as my truck just significantly quieter and now he has called it a normal Raptor 4wd noise and they have stopped helping me.

Looking for some direction or help basically anything that might help me get this resolved.

The noise sounds like a scored bearing or a swirling almost light whistle noise. I will try to get a video where you can hear the noise and post it.

Thanks in advance, I really like this truck and more than anything want to get this figured out so I can feel comfortable keeping it beyond the protection of the Ford ESP.

Attachments

• Raptor1.jpg
    Raptor1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180705_205121.jpg
    20180705_205121.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IWE issue? Have you verified that your axle nuts are tightened down snug? If they're loose you can get partial engagement/disengagement of the IWEs causing a rattling/grinding sound and chewing away at the teeth.

Vacuum issue maybe? Have you tried fully disconnecting your IWE lines while in 4WD? If your vacuum valve is letting partial vacuum through, that could cause the same type of behavior.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out some of the pinion gear noise threads.
R,
HAP

OP
OP
svxwilson

svxwilson

Reaction score
I have not personally worked on anything with the truck as it is still under its Ford Extended Warranty (ESP). I am having the dealership print my work orders and I will upload them. The sound ONLY occurs when in 4wd. After reading The pinion gear noise threads it sounds like the
raptors in those threads have the noise occur in 2wd when it is the rear diff, a]nd my raptor only makes the noise in 4wd and on deceleration in 4wd.

The Ford dealership has recommended I call the Ford 1800 customer service number and explain the problems to them and start a case with them. The dealership told me that I will probably end up with an extended warranty if the problem isn't resolved. So I just got done doing that. I am open to suggestions and still need some help here. Love the truck, just dont want to get stuck with the ****** 4wd sound.

OP
OP
svxwilson

svxwilson

Reaction score
I don't think its CVs. Unless Raptor CVs sound entirely different than a typical failing CV sound.

It sounds faint but I swear I can hear the same noise in 2WD also.

I have the truck going back into ford. I went to a different dealer and have been working with the shop forman and he is going to replace the rear diff ring and pinion and anything else the find in the rear diff. He is also at a loss as to what else it could be other than that. The only other thing he points out is that it feels binding when it shifts in and out of 4x4 to 4x2. To test We even put a brand new pair of tires and rims on it from A different truck to see if it was a tire wear issue maybe causing the binding creating the noise..... it actually made the noise louder...

After they service the rear diff it will have had the front diff, transfer case, transmission, and rear diff all serviced and worn parts replaced.

Hopefully it is the rear diff causing the noise. We will find that out shortly.

Please chime in with any thoughts. I only have 2k miles left on my factory ESP.....

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck just started making this noise, 2018. Only occurs when placing it into 4WD.

This is not my video but this is the exact same noise mine is doing