HELP!!! 1000 miles and i think my engine BLEW UP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PM me your VIN and I will tell you what I see in your carfax.

also does anyone know if i file a claim with insurance will it show up on my carfax report as anything negative like flood damage or anything or maybe just a claim of some sort?

OP
OP
T

typester

Reaction score
bad news good news.

Update 2/6/2013

John Bernath at San Tan Ford is a HUGE JERK! his number is 480-621-3768 and email is [email protected]

I specifically asked him not to send the request to the SVT Warranty Team, but instead of listening, he went into my Service records and wrote lies about what happened to my vehicle, my story from the 1st day i spoke to the dealer was that i had hit a small puddle at no more that 35mph and only on the left 1/4 of the truck!! NOT engulfed in water by anymeans...had i been earlier in the day...YES...but nothing happened then.
Long story short John Bernath put in the records that "I" had stated the vehicle stopped working after going into a HUGE puddle. Why would someone do that? what crawled up his @## and made him so angry that he would try to screw me over like this?

The good news is the story get a bit better, i called Ford and reported the error on his part, and now Peoria Ford (Tom Dixion) is working with the Warranty team. Ford has offered to cover all but $3600(wholesale cost of the engine i suppose). i'm taking the deal! i still kind of sucks because i'm certain i wasn't doing anything that i shouldn't have in the truck but i'm the small fish and have to intentions of putting laywers and 10K in expenses out there to try and win this, when i'm sure Ford has run their Raptors through far more water like i did earlier in the day and never had a problem. this was dumb luck for me, and so is life sometime, rather than complain, i'm going to say THANKS! and have me truck back by mid next week!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!

NEVER do business with San Tan Ford unless they Fire John Bernath he went out of his way to screw me, all because i pushed him to TRY HARDER to get my warranty, he told me several times he though i was lying about what happened, and i asked him why he wouldn't believe his customer and ultimatley that is why i took my business to Peoria Ford even though they are 50 miles away from me, versus 1 mile away. SCREW YOU JOHN BERNATH!! i cant believe you went OUT OF YOUR WAY to try to screw me, all i ever did was as you to push Ford harder! to ask Ford again, don't give up, believe me, don't assume i'm lying...

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First...I guess it is a bitter sweet day...having to pay anything sucks, but It could have been a lot worse and you would have been without a truck for a lot longer

Second...is this going on your Carfax? If so is there a way to get some type of compensation from your insurance to cover the "decrease in value?

Thirds...saying your are not truthful without any facts to back it up...is completely unprofessional and flat out wrong...I would be curious as to what he based his response to You and FMC on?

If it was me I would request you have the ability to choose the dealer that provides the work to replace your motor...

Good luck,

Fred

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad they're coving you in some way at least.

But when you say stuff like " had hit a small puddle at no more that 35mph and only on the left 1/4 of the truck!! NOT engulfed in water by anymeans...had i been earlier in the day...YES...but nothing happened then." I kinda go crosseyed. Especially since this conversation started out, pretty much, blasting Ford and the truck for design defects.

Something is weird here. But like I said, I'm glad you guys seem to be coming to a compromise.

OP
OP
T

typester

Reaction score
I meant what I said, I had hit puddles earlier that day yhat made me turn on my whinshoeld wippers, not anything the truck isn't supposed to handle according to the how to videos but deaper than 6inches for sure. I'm frustrated with ford and don't think I have been too hard on them, I am new to off roading and I learned the hard way that water is dangerous, it shouldn't have happened the way it did, and after examining how I think the water entered I think a few designs could help avoid this issue. I'll take some pics and propose some ideas later...

But for now I'm happy Ford stepped up and helped out, I know they could have fought harder and it would have been an uphill battle for me.
Thanks Ford for the compromise.

San Tan Ford has been Fired!

I am having Peoria Ford do the work, Tom Dixion and Paul Johnson have been great. Even my sales guy DJ really put up an effort to make sure I was taken care of.

P.s. I should get to keep the old engine right? Since technically its not a warranty repair, they are just chipping in? Maybe i can part out the old engine and make back a grand or two? After all it has 7 good cylinders and the top half of the block should be fine...

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear that they are taking care of you even though they are still charging you 3600.00. Get them to put in writing if you pay the $3600.00 you get to keep your old engine, otherwise they will want it for a core exchange or they may only give you a short block and use parts off your existing engine to compleat the short block.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.s. I should get to keep the old engine right? Since technically its not a warranty repair, they are just chipping in? Maybe i can part out the old engine and make back a grand or two? After all it has 7 good cylinders and the top half of the block should be fine...

Thats going to be a HUGE negative. It'll have to go back for a core.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I meant what I said, I had hit puddles earlier that day yhat made me turn on my whinshoeld wippers, not anything the truck isn't supposed to handle according to the how to videos but deaper than 6inches for sure. I'm frustrated with ford and don't think I have been too hard on them, I am new to off roading and I learned the hard way that water is dangerous, it shouldn't have happened the way it did, and after examining how I think the water entered I think a few designs could help avoid this issue. I'll take some pics and propose some ideas later...
I really should just leave this alone, but...

type, you say you're new to off roading. You say you didn't realize water could be a hazard. You say things like "engulfed in water... earlier in the day". You point at promo vids for justification. You suggest there are design flaws with the truck, and that Ford has misled you. You talk about being in no more than 6" of water, "for sure"...

How are you sure you were in no more than 6" of water? Did you get out, scout the area and measure depths before entering the water? What experience or expertise to you have that makes you qualified to assess what you were doing, compared to those videos? What training do you have that says you can engineer a better baffle system than what Ford has come up with for the 6.2?

I don't say these things to be mean. I ask them sincerely. By your own admission you're a newbie to all this. How can a newbie assess anything about this situation fairly? Seems to me you got in over your head (no pun intended) and are looking for anyone else to blame but yourself. I think you need to slow down a little bit, consider the chance that there is no design flaw and allow for the possibility that you exceeded not only your abilities but also the design limits of the truck. Only then can you fairly learn from this experience, and therefore make darn sure not to repeat it in the future.

OP
OP
T

typester

Reaction score
BigJ i don't think you are being mean or unreasonable, but your right when i say no more than 6inches it is a guess, but our tires are 35in so if i enter water and not even half of the rubber is covered i'm sure that is a good ball park. also, i agree, SLOW DOWN in water is the key. not that i was going excessivly fast compared to what Ford does in there videos, but i can assure you that as is i wouldn't even attempt what they do in their videos because water intrusion is possible based on my experience.

where the air box sucks air, is just over top of the drives side fender, and if water makes it behind the fender it WILL get sucked into the air filter, it really comes down to how much gets up there. BUT in other areas of the truck, Ford has placed loose pieces of ruber to block water/dirt from splashing up, if they would do the same thing at the base of that fender and maybe even half way up and then splashing would almost NEVER be an issue.
your right i'm probably not smarter than the Ford Engineers, but sometimes those guys are so smart they miss the small common sense stuff like this... not saying they did or did not miss it, they may have thought of it and said its no big deal, but for piece of mind on my part i will for sure do something to my vehicle for an added layer of protection! i appreciate your input though!

I'm very excited to have my Raptor back next week!!

Lobzila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad you got this worked out to an extent, but your really lucky that it went your way. Did you notice at the end of the video that it states to consult the owners manual? I deal in custormer service everyday and you are a nightmare customer. Not trying to be a **** here, but you don't seem to know that you are making these huge mistakes when making your complaint. You admitted the water fault and want Ford to fix what you admitting breaking because you saw a promo video? If your splashing water from puddles or ponds or rivers, over your windsheild or onto it, your in deeper than the six inches of water you claimed or going a lot faster then recommended or both. Now you hope to make some money back on the warrantied parts you hope to get back? Your lucky your getting this done at only a loss of 3600.00 out of pocket. Also your corncerned about what will show up on the Carfax report for the poor sucker you sell this truck to when you get rid of it?
Man up and take some responsibility.
Changed my mind, I am trying to be a **** here. Think how pissed the guy you sell this truck will be when I doubt you mention any of this problem to him/her and they start having all kinds of problems with it.

Last edited: