HELP!!! 1000 miles and i think my engine BLEW UP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

typester

Reaction score
Driving down the road, in the Arizona rain... and crazy noises started shacking around like marbles in my engine, lost oil pressure then the engine died.

Update 2/6/2013

John Bernath at San Tan Ford is a HUGE JERK! his number is 480-621-3768 and email is [email protected]

I specifically asked him not to send the request to the SVT Warranty Team, but instead of listening, he went into my Service records and wrote lies about what happened to my vehicle, my story from the 1st day i spoke to the dealer was that i had hit a small puddle at no more that 35mph and only on the left 1/4 of the truck!! NOT engulfed in water by anymeans...had i been earlier in the day...YES...but nothing happened then.
Long story short John Bernath put in the records that "I" had stated the vehicle stopped working after going into a HUGE puddle. Why would someone do that? what crawled up his @## and made him so angry that he would try to screw me over like this?

The good news is the story get a bit better, i called Ford and reported the error on his part, and now Peoria Ford (Tom Dixion) is working with the Warranty team. Ford has offered to cover all but $3600(wholesale cost of the engine i suppose). i'm taking the deal! i still kind of sucks because i'm certain i wasn't doing anything that i shouldn't have in the truck but i'm the small fish and have to intentions of putting laywers and 10K in expenses out there to try and win this, when i'm sure Ford has run their Raptors through far more water like i did earlier in the day and never had a problem. this was dumb luck for me, and so is life sometime, rather than complain, i'm going to say THANKS! and have me truck back by mid next week!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!

NEVER do business with San Tan Ford unless they Fire John Bernath he went out of his way to screw me, all because i pushed him to TRY HARDER to get my warranty, he told me several times he though i was lying about what happened, and i asked him why he wouldn't believe his customer and ultimatley that is why i took my business to Peoria Ford even though they are 50 miles away from me, versus 1 mile away. SCREW YOU JOHN BERNATH!! i cant believe you went OUT OF YOUR WAY to try to screw me, all i ever did was as you to push Ford harder! to ask Ford again, don't give up, believe me, don't assume i'm lying...

Update 1/31

San Tan Ford called me today to tell me I was done, write us a check for 10k and we'll give u a new engine but there is no chance of it being warrantied...
Ford flat out said that they will not send a field service engineer to look at a hydrolocked engine.
I asked why not, because its not covered...john says...
Did you tell them I was going under 30mph in less than 6in of water like the Manuel states I can? I asked
No, cause it doesn't matter...its not covered! Did u show them their own how to videos? Well, I mentioned in the email that you did what was in the videos...
I really want to punch this guy in the face right about now...anyway, I'm not giving up. I don't know what to do next but I didn't do anything this truck wasn't designed to do, I know most of you want to think I was bogged down in three feet of water or driving 80mph through 10inches but I wasn't, and this could be the first of many, or I could just have terrible luck.

The only thing so far that I have noticed off on my truck is the panel under the fender is missing a screw so it allowed water to get past it, not sure if that was the cause but you may all want to secure your fender with something stronger than a plastic screw before offroading in even a reasonable amount of mud and water.

Any ideas on a where to go next with ford? Anyone have a good contact who I can call to at least get a fair shake? I'm convinced this was not my fault after my research and I think if I can find someone e honest ford to look into it they will take care of me.

please tell me what you think about these videos on the Ford Website, i didn't come even CLOSE to going through as much water as they did in these videos, i think that maybe i'm missing a piece somewhere that should have blocked the rain water...i would love to say i've done these things in my truck, i've only ever done some cookies in the mud, but i hoped to do this kind of stuff some day! it's why i spent $65,000 on this truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check this video out at 30 seconds in... Playing it safe when off

Driving SVT Raptor in muddy conditions - YouTube

Raptor is up for water adventures - YouTube

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerVideoPage&year=2013&make=Ford&model=F-150%20Raptor

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man...sorry about your truck that sucks...

Do you have any mods at all on the truck? Hopefully, in your case, it is bone stock.

I am thinking the truck swallowed some water....just a guess since you say things starting going south after you hit a puddle that cleaned your truck off...

Your warranty hopefully covers all repairs...I would not go advertising you were playing in the mud...

Hoping for the best for you and the truck...

Fred

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be more worried about if you sucked up water into the air cleaner and that caused this damage.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get it towed to the dealership and let us know what happens.

Sounds like you hydrolocked, and then "unlocked it".

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
If you were not doing any big time off road event and it was a ROAD and this happened, Insurance may cover it if the dealer does not. It WAS an ACCIDENT. Had a guy screw up his drain plug on a bike. Needed new cases to fix it. The insurance company totaled it and he got a new bike for $500 deductable.

BDRAG

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it hydro locked, why would it be out of oil with no sign of anything broken?

I know that with the LS series of GM engines, water is the worst thing you can do to
them. Fingers crossed for you it is minor.