Hello, Very new Newbie in Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was an age old question and while we thought it was answered, it may have not been. Do we know what build date started with the addition of the latest parts that truly fixed the issue? While it’s published somewhere on Fords side. It may not be public knowledge as Ford wouldn’t want to ***** anyone that may not have those parts. We also know most trucks aren’t affected with the problem.
07/18 builds had the revised parts, but they can still exhibit the issue due to the duty cycle in the calibration causing premature wear. Hence the new calibration in 21B10.

11/19 builds have the redesigned parts that eliminate the original failure mode, and also include the new calibration. This mirrors the parts/calibration in the TSB for all affected models.

It appears that a parts design/robustness issue was targeted first before the calibration was identified as root cause of the parts failure.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
07/18 builds had the revised parts, but they can still exhibit the issue due to the duty cycle in the calibration causing premature wear. Hence the new calibration in 21B10.

11/19 builds have the redesigned parts that eliminate the original failure mode, and also include the new calibration. This mirrors the parts/calibration in the TSB for all affected models.

It appears that a parts design/robustness issue was targeted first before the calibration was identified as root cause of the parts failure.
Thanks for some clarification on this. I have a 7/18 build and have had the cam phaser issue for a while now. Haven't been in a big hurry to get it taken care, but will eventually. Just to confirm, this will not cause any harm to engine if not taken care of right away?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for some clarification on this. I have a 7/18 build and have had the cam phaser issue for a while now. Haven't been in a big hurry to get it taken care, but will eventually. Just to confirm, this will not cause any harm to engine if not taken care of right away?

According to the bulletin it will not cause any harm, but I’d still have it addressed sooner rather than later.

ravis22

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this looks like it's a great group to be in when owning a Raptor. I am in the process of considering the purchase of one. Not knowing what I don't know......my first purchase was almost a disaster, it (2017 802a ) had been in for repairs for cam phaser rattle (and it is still showing for sale on the site I found it on). I called the garage that worked on it and he assured me that they just had to replace the "pinion seal" and that it was a common thing in these trucks, nothing to be worried about. I also called Ford and they listed all of the things it had been taken to a mechanic for - he described it as "leaking from the rear end", no mention of the Cam shaft problem. Both told me that it was nothing to be worried about. That's when I went looking for information and found you guys. I didn't (and still don't) really understand how prevelant this is? Makes me not want to purchase one now, how likely is it to find one without it? Can a mechanic determine that for sure? I will obviously have the next one checked out prior to buying, but do I have a mechanic go to the stealership and take a look? Most places are selling them so fast that they won't wait on someone to do that. Maybe I'll just get a Ram? dangit.

If not for a post I found here, talking about this, I would not have known and could have been a disaster. So thanks. I suspect you get tired of talking about this subject. Are they ever really fixed after that or forever broken?

Also, why is the 802a package at different price levels? Is it tied to a particular year or based on that particular truck? Is there one item in the 802a package that would not be included in any other package (so I'll know it's an 802a without them saying so in the description).

Thanks, Missy
Hi Missy, I’ve also been looking to buy a used raptor and I noticed that starting in 2019 or 2020 the 802a package started including options that had been part of the technology package in previous years, so that is why 802a used to be a ~$9k option and then went to a ~$10k option.