Hello, Very new Newbie in Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDELONG

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this looks like it's a great group to be in when owning a Raptor. I am in the process of considering the purchase of one. Not knowing what I don't know......my first purchase was almost a disaster, it (2017 802a ) had been in for repairs for cam phaser rattle (and it is still showing for sale on the site I found it on). I called the garage that worked on it and he assured me that they just had to replace the "pinion seal" and that it was a common thing in these trucks, nothing to be worried about. I also called Ford and they listed all of the things it had been taken to a mechanic for - he described it as "leaking from the rear end", no mention of the Cam shaft problem. Both told me that it was nothing to be worried about. That's when I went looking for information and found you guys. I didn't (and still don't) really understand how prevelant this is? Makes me not want to purchase one now, how likely is it to find one without it? Can a mechanic determine that for sure? I will obviously have the next one checked out prior to buying, but do I have a mechanic go to the stealership and take a look? Most places are selling them so fast that they won't wait on someone to do that. Maybe I'll just get a Ram? dangit.

If not for a post I found here, talking about this, I would not have known and could have been a disaster. So thanks. I suspect you get tired of talking about this subject. Are they ever really fixed after that or forever broken?

Also, why is the 802a package at different price levels? Is it tied to a particular year or based on that particular truck? Is there one item in the 802a package that would not be included in any other package (so I'll know it's an 802a without them saying so in the description).

Thanks, Missy

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. The cam phaser rattle noise has been addressed via a recall and extended warranty coverage. A pinion seal leak is not common, but it’s also not that big of a deal. Any qualified technician can replace it in less than an hour.

The most important factor to consider when looking at any used vehicle is the maintenance history. If it’s unavailable or has extended intervals, that’s a huge risk. Look for oil changes at 7500 miles or less with brand name synthetic and a Motorcraft or equivalent filter. Turbocharged engines are very hard on oil; if maintenance was neglected there will be premature wear.

802A is the luxury package. It includes things like memory, heated and cooled seats, dual auto climate control, etc. On top of 802A you can add stand alone options like the roof opening panel, forged bead lock wheels, tailgate step, and technology package (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, etc).

OP
OP
M

MDELONG

Reaction score
Thank you both for your response! Good luck on the new Raptor. And thanks FordTechOne for that great information. It will be very helpful as I attempt to locate one. Just so I understand, if the recall concering the cam/shudder is actually listed on the carfax, then there has been an issue with that particular truck. It is not just listing it as a random recall across the board, is that correct? Sorry to ask such basic questions. I have had dealerships who don't even know about any of this. And can't, or won't explain (they just playing dumb I think). At the prices they are paying for them, trucks (that maybe wouldn't be sold) are coming out of the woodwork to be sold.

Just so I'm clear, even if it has had this problem (or does have), it can be fixed thru the recall. There are not residual issues with it after that? Is that correct? Would you buy one that had or is know to have the issue? Does it lower the resell value in a normal selling environment?

One dealer has a truck I was looking at that said it was a "buy back" due to the lemon law. He had no idea why and didn't seem to want to know. Said he have it sold by the end of the day and there would be no time for a mechanic to come look at it. This is some crazy stuff.

Thanks again for your help!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, good luck in your search. Sometimes carfax will list the cam phaser bulletin for FORD as there is an upgrade program for it, doesn't mean the cam phasers have been done. The cam phaser isn't a big deal if it needs to be done, it's just a long process for a tech to replace them, usually 2-3 days in the shop. It's not really a performance issue but a noise on cold start up. Raptors are very reliable trucks and a blast to drive. Very few trucks need a pinion seal done, it's not an issue with these trucks any more than it is for a Ferrari, it's nonexistent mostly. Read a few of the threads on here and you will become accustom to the pros and cons of raptor ownership with the biggest being maintenance, these are a high performance offroad machine from the factory, not just a Starbucks latte sipping machine.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Don’t be panicked by the cam phaser repair. @FordTechOne can say this more eloquently, but the issue is with the cam phaser failing to ‘park’ in the proper position and upon a subsequent “cold soak” startup, you get the marbles in a can sound until it’s properly indexed.

The repair procedure for the diagnosis and repair itself has been published numerous times and this issue is one that apparently does not cause any long term harm, it just sounds awful. If it’s been done and done correctly, you’re good.

And, welcome to FRF
#LookingtoMakeItOneLessprius

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you both for your response! Good luck on the new Raptor. And thanks FordTechOne for that great information. It will be very helpful as I attempt to locate one. Just so I understand, if the recall concering the cam/shudder is actually listed on the carfax, then there has been an issue with that particular truck. It is not just listing it as a random recall across the board, is that correct? Sorry to ask such basic questions. I have had dealerships who don't even know about any of this. And can't, or won't explain (they just playing dumb I think). At the prices they are paying for them, trucks (that maybe wouldn't be sold) are coming out of the woodwork to be sold.

Just so I'm clear, even if it has had this problem (or does have), it can be fixed thru the recall. There are not residual issues with it after that? Is that correct? Would you buy one that had or is know to have the issue? Does it lower the resell value in a normal selling environment?

One dealer has a truck I was looking at that said it was a "buy back" due to the lemon law. He had no idea why and didn't seem to want to know. Said he have it sold by the end of the day and there would be no time for a mechanic to come look at it. This is some crazy stuff.

Thanks again for your help!
All trucks will list the 21N08 on the Carfax; it doesn't mean that it is affected by it. They don't know the history of every vehicle, so they have the apply the campaign to all of them.

The issue is isolated to the camshaft sprockets, which are able to advance/retard the camshaft timing to optimize performance and reduce emissions. Since they are controlled by oil pressure, the sprockets have a locking pin that keeps them at base timing when they are not adjusting timing, such as on a cold start. The calibration duty cycle was causing premature wear on the locking mechanism, causing them to oscillate on cold start since they weren't locking in place properly. This is why the calibration was revised in FSA 21B10. If the phasers already experienced the issue, they will be replaced with the updated parts which were redesigned to prevent the failure mode regardless.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All trucks will list the 21N08 on the Carfax; it doesn't mean that it is affected by it. They don't know the history of every vehicle, so they have the apply the campaign to all of them.

The issue is isolated to the camshaft sprockets, which are able to advance/retard the camshaft timing to optimize performance and reduce emissions. Since they are controlled by oil pressure, the sprockets have a locking pin that keeps them at base timing when they are not adjusting timing, such as on a cold start. The calibration duty cycle was causing premature wear on the locking mechanism, causing them to oscillate on cold start since they weren't locking in place properly. This is why the calibration was revised in FSA 21B10. If the phasers already experienced the issue, they will be replaced with the updated parts which were redesigned to prevent the failure mode regardless.
This was an age old question and while we thought it was answered, it may have not been. Do we know what build date started with the addition of the latest parts that truly fixed the issue? While it’s published somewhere on Fords side. It may not be public knowledge as Ford wouldn’t want to ***** anyone that may not have those parts. We also know most trucks aren’t affected with the problem.