Hello from Ohio! 2022 Agate Black @ MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USA

Reaction score
Hello from Ohio!

Earlier this week I put down a non-refundable deposit to secure a new 2022 F-150 Raptor (Agate Black - 801a - Moonroof & Tailgate - Auto Start/Stop Delete). My truck is in production as I post this! As the truck is spec'd, (no auto start/stop, no bed liner, no graphics) I'm hoping it will be shipped in a few weeks from now without any hold ups. I'll be coming from a 4Runner (White, 5th Gen) which has been a tank of a SUV. That vehicle took an absolute beating on the trails and in the fields, yet I never had an issue with it. I'm hoping this Raptor is durable as well.

I'm purchasing the truck at MSRP! Yes, it is possible, although I spent a day calling ~25 dealerships to find it. Most of the conversations with dealers, as many of you know, were frustrating as they did not have a clear understanding of how the allocation or supply constraints affect ordering and receiving build slots for these vehicles. I've been reading through the forum a lot this week and other people's experiences and data points gave me the confidence to pull the trigger immediately when I came across this opportunity (at MSRP and truck being in production), so thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'll also note, I will be purchasing this truck as a cash purchase. This was a requirement the dealer had in order to honor the MSRP price which they quoted. This is a high volume dealer and my understanding is they didn't want the hassle of dealing with out of state financing? Thought I'd share that for those of you calling out of state dealers, might make you the path of least resistance when negotiating. Although I'd presume your in state dealers would actually prefer you finance the vehicle as they get a cut? Who knows...

I'll be honest, I originally wanted a white Raptor, and I have some concerns about the black paint showing scratches and wear from off-roading. I'm strongly considering getting the truck fully wrapped with a Xpel PPF wrap and then ceramic coated. Not sure if I should go with Xpel's Stealth which is 8 mil thick and a matte finish or Xpel's Ultimate 10 which is 10 mil thick and high gloss finish.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on a good find. Paid with cash as well! Well that’s a good problem to be stuck with, concerning the Xpel. I’d say either should give great protection, bit truly comes down to you being a gloss black paint purist or you want a custom matte finish which can look pretty dang cool on an offroad truck like this.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering getting the truck fully wrapped with a Xpel PPF wrap and then ceramic coated. Not sure if I should go with Xpel's Stealth which is 8 mil thick and a matte finish or Xpel's Ultimate 10 which is 10 mil thick and high gloss finish.

This is what I did. Xpel Ultimate Fusion (has a ceramic-like top coat) on the whole truck for a deep gloss look, except we used Xpel Stealth on the bumpers and wheel arches for a matte finish. That turned out great, the bumpers have more of a metallic dark gray look to them. The Fusion is their latest line, and I was the test case for my installer for that new product. Looking good so far. Here is that product (no affiliation):
https://www.xpel.com/ultimate-fusion-hydrophobic-paint-protection-film

OP
OP
USA

USA

Reaction score
This is what I did. Xpel Ultimate Fusion (has a ceramic-like top coat) on the whole truck for a deep gloss look, except we used Xpel Stealth on the bumpers and wheel arches for a matte finish. That turned out great, the bumpers have more of a metallic dark gray look to them. The Fusion is their latest line, and I was the test case for my installer for that new product. Looking good so far. Here is that product (no affiliation):
https://www.xpel.com/ultimate-fusion-hydrophobic-paint-protection-film

That’s a great idea! I wasn’t aware they had ultimate fusion thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Do you have a good idea on how well that stealth washes up in comparison to the ultimate fusion? IF, I went all stealth, I’m wondering how easy it is to clean and if it’s matte finish looks good dirty (after a rain storm, salty roads, etc) vs a high gloss finish. Obviously either will look great covered in mud!

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a great idea! I wasn’t aware they had ultimate fusion thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Do you have a good idea on how well that stealth washes up in comparison to the ultimate fusion? IF, I went all stealth, I’m wondering how easy it is to clean and if it’s matte finish looks good dirty (after a rain storm, salty roads, etc) vs a high gloss finish. Obviously either will look great covered in mud!

The matte always looks "less dirty" than the gloss when the truck is actually dirty. When clean, the gloss can't be beat. Also worth noting I put a coat of 303 Graphene over the whole truck for extra slipperiness.