Hello from Maryland - looking for advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aphonictx

Reaction score
Well Boys, the time has come. I've been wanting a Raptor since watching the 2008 Baja. Have a decent budget of 50k - ish. Will be a third vehicle, so not too worried about daily driving details.

I have read the forums for a while and now diving in. I'm deciding between a 2014 SVT with 63K miles for $45K and a 2019 Gen2 with 69K miles for $58k. Both fully equipped, both white (love that clean look - white with dark gray or black wheels - just speaks to me. ha) Would like to keep this truck for a while. Nothing real heavy as far as offroad - some dirt trails, backwoods camping, some mudding but nothing crazy. Love the howl of the V8 and if I go with that, Corsa or Borla going on it immediately. Gas mileage doesn't matter to me. Interior on Gen 2 is obviously nicer and this Get 2 has a certified warranty until 2026 or 100K miles (which, again, will probably be putting 5k miles on it a year, so warranty will last me a while). I've read the pros and cons on both and was hoping someone here would have some first hand experiences with both - maybe someone who has had both, or intergenerational friendships with honest comparisons.

Thank you! looking forward to being part of the forums and hope to learn a ton on here. Whichever one I get, will share my small mods and help any future noobs when possible.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, I think it comes down to what do you want to look at in your driveway, both are low mileage, which one would you look back as you walk away and say to yourself "damn I own a sexy truck". Some extended warranties aren't worth a shi t, especially if there are any mods, fyi. You need to figure out if the exhaust sounds of a v6 bothers you or not. Obviously the Gen 2 has more in cabin feature comforts. I'm not saying which is better because that is a personal choice, the choice you need to make. Lastly, have both vehicles inspected if it's a tie.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF, Hon.
yous from Bal’mer?
;-)

I’ve only had the 2017. You’ve read the pros and cons here, but haven’t been to Raptor Assault. There, you can see just how capable these trucks are, and honestly they’re not pushing those trucks to the limit, they’re pushing them to the level the drivers can handle safely. My crew had all 2017’s for students and for staff but for the lone Jen Juan. Fun fact: both trucks models performed quite well there. The older truck did suffer some electronic gremlin and did end up having to be towed, but that wasn’t some spectacular failure. On the trails, sand, etc. they all performed and were up to the task.

Your use case would suit either truck model, I’d strongly suggest that unless you have to have it, avoid the twin panel moonroof. Obviously the warranty can --somewhat-- negate this, but the warranty won’t help you at 2300 hours when the moonroof won’t close in a rain storm (because the track broke when you opened it the last time and didn’t know it). It can be worked around if maintained - using Ford’s Krytox grease on the glass to rubber seals and popping to vent first before moving the glass rearward. From the Jen Too side, your potential ’19 would already have the metal oil pan, very unlikely to leak like the previous years plastic one, but I seem to recall a valve cover / oil consumption issue around this era, check on that.

Under 60k for a Jen Too is good pricing right now. Then again, 45k for a Raptor... Tempting.

Definitely drive both and see what you think about the handling of each. Ensure you use sport mode in the 2019, the default normal eco mode the truck starts up in is lazy as **** and I’d also recommend 4a on the transfer case. But definitely use 2h and give it some gas. if you hear strange sounds, it could be the IWE system that aids with engagement of the front wheels.

good luck.

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! :D Either gen is a solid buy - it just depends on the looks and how it runs. If you're split on the appearance, test drive them both if you can. See what one has over the other and decide what you like better. I've only driven a gen 2 and I'd pick it just because vehicle problems tend to be more age related versus milage assuming it was well taken care of and wasn't crummy to begin with.

OP
OP
A

aphonictx

Reaction score
Thanks. Yessir - you nose it hon. Balmer.

I test drove both and gen 2 was a little smoother, nicer interior - but not to the point that its worth 13k more. I really like the V8 rumble and have done research on the gen 1s "notable" problems. Will have fuse 27 swapped, will replace power steering and actually upgrade that, same for the 4wd dial. All things my local mechanic can do over the first couple months of ownership. Really want to get the exhaust on there, get a little loud. Also, from days of having BMWs and Mercedes - I'm leery about the long term reliability of any turbo engine that's not a diesel. EcoBoost will probably be fine - but I'll just feel better about the V8. Ok, I've talked myself into the Gen 1. Feel good.

Will post pics ASAP. Talk soon! ha.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome...

I am in MD as well. Where do you reside?

Get the one with the warranty, hands down and then tune it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Yessir - you nose it hon. Balmer.

I test drove both and gen 2 was a little smoother, nicer interior - but not to the point that its worth 13k more. I really like the V8 rumble and have done research on the gen 1s "notable" problems. Will have fuse 27 swapped, will replace power steering and actually upgrade that, same for the 4wd dial. All things my local mechanic can do over the first couple months of ownership. Really want to get the exhaust on there, get a little loud. Also, from days of having BMWs and Mercedes - I'm leery about the long term reliability of any turbo engine that's not a diesel. EcoBoost will probably be fine - but I'll just feel better about the V8. Ok, I've talked myself into the Gen 1. Feel good.

Will post pics ASAP. Talk soon! ha.
Post lots of pics when you get it. Keep us in the loop with how the transaction goes.