Hello everyome , thinking of buying a 2018, 2019 Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SicRap

Reaction score
Hello everyone . I've been looking at trading in me 2016 Ram 2500 for a Raptor. I no longer haul anything heavy so considering a Raptor.

New to the Raptor world so my question for people who are more knowledgeable.

Is the 2019 worth the extra almost 10k for the Live Fox suspension ? Over the 2018 ?
I would be getting either or with the 802A Packagen .
Just having a hard time deciding if the 2019 is worth it or not.

Thanks for any help

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re looking for out of it. In addition to the Live Valve shocks, 2019 models also received new wheel designs (both standard and bead lock), new paint colors, vehicle measurement display in the Instrument Cluster center screen, new tailgate appliqué design, new raised surface bed and hood decals, trail control, new optional Recaro alcantara Rhapsody blue interior package, and electric parking brake.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id say no unless theres a decent mileage difference.

You get some camphaser (depending on year made 2019s) and iwe fix/program.

Live valve shocks work better offroad, but you feel the little bumps more on road, less body roll for turns. Do wish there was a separate adjustment for shocks vs only in the entire mode switch. (eclick fixes this, but could do the same for the 17-18 plus live valve take offs for cheaper)

The measurement info screen is extremely useful and valuable to me esp for a boosted motor, but you can get that through a tuner gauge screen.

Might have been my old truck, but i feel the std seats on the 20 feel better than the std seats on the 18, but both were comfy.

Some people said the trans felt difference in terms of shifting but both of mine feel the same, which was good to begin with. I will say the sport mode is better on the 20, just feels more like a sport mode vs street baja mode the 18 had.

My 18 body panels lined up better, the 20 the hood is slightly off, and the side body panels are off, hard to notice, but noticeable to me.

Undercoating seems to be better on the 17-18, just from my experience and from others reporting it, nothing major, just something i noticed being underneath both.

Oil pan is metal, unless you find a late production 2018, bit more pain in the ass to drain without making a mess, but little chance of failing vs the plastic pan.

Ford performance blue is prob my favorite color offered on the 19-20s, but not sure if that matters to you.

Also an auto brake feature added and stop n go adaptive cruise.

I felt the 18 was extremely nice, but it was high up in mileage and got a low mileage 20. Main reason for me was mileage, no moonroof on the 20 (best feature), and metal oil pan, the rest was a welcome addition.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an expert or even an owner yet, but test driving a '19 and an '18 over the same rough pot-holey road at speeds made me more strongly consider 19 and up. The rear felt more planted at the same speed in the 19 and the braking felt better. It's entirely possible the 18 needed a shock rebuild and was not representative of the species as a whole. Given my limited exposure the only thing I can say is test drive both and see. For me, I think it's worth the extra cost.

OP
OP
1SicRap

1SicRap

Reaction score
So far I've driven the 19s only and seem like they have a great ride compare to my Ram2500 with fox 2.0. So night and day. But like mention above I think the milage and price is what I am looking at most now .

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All great replies. But, you will never miss what you don’t have. If the miles are the same and the 18 does not have a rattle on a cold startup(cam phasers) then save the 10k and get the 18. the 2019 would have to have a years worth of mileage (21-23k) less to have me spend more than 3k for the 19 over the 18 Assuming the carfax is similar to each other.
can you post a link, window sticker or a picture?

OP
OP
1SicRap

1SicRap

Reaction score
I will as soon as I get a serious deal . As everyone knows truck right now are pricey..

The cam phasers ......is it something I should be worried about on a 18 or 19 ? I didn't know it was that common on these trucks ...overall they seem to be pretty solid on the motor and transmission side ...or maybe, I haven't read enough on them .

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will as soon as I get a serious deal . As everyone knows truck right now are pricey..

The cam phasers ......is it something I should be worried about on a 18 or 19 ? I didn't know it was that common on these trucks ...overall they seem to be pretty solid on the motor and transmission side ...or maybe, I haven't read enough on them .
A recall was released in July of 2021 to address the issue. The affected population was 2017 to early 2020 models. If the recall (21B10) was completed and there is no rattle on a cold start then it should be fine.

OP
OP
1SicRap

1SicRap

Reaction score
A recall was released in July of 2021 to address the issue. The affected population was 2017 to early 2020 models. If the recall (21B10) was completed and there is no rattle on a cold start then it should be fine.
That's good news.
Does anyone happen to know if they fixed the Transmission tuning or hard shift issues ?

Or are the Transmission known to go bad ?