Hellion Turbo kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbrewster4

Reaction score
Ok I am still stuck on wanting turbos, but before i just go ahead with a whipple instead, how many people are running reliable Hellion twin turbo kits on here. Also, how many are running ones that have problems? Just wanting some feedback before I go ahead with the whipple and wish I went with turbos down the road.

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't even consider a turbo. Get a supercharger, TB, headers and you will save yourself a lot of money and grief.

Edit: Re-reading your post I realize you were looking for input from turbocharged owners.

Last edited:

REKIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some fairly long conversations with Hellion. Awesome hardware. Basically no tuning or tuning support. Unless you have a tuner who knows what they are doing as well as the knowledge you will need to buy additional controllers, you will not be happy.

The hardware is bolt on and awesome, but beyond that it is far from road ready.

I decided not to pull the trigger on the kit and will probably be doing a whipple kit when the time comes, but I may change my mind....I'm fickle, hahaha

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you have a tuner who knows what they are doing

Very much agree on this point. I spoke to two reputable tuners who didn't want to work with a hellion kit on a Raptor. I just wasn't into the idea of paying $15k of my own money to do R&D work for someone else's company.

For what it's worth, I am very happy with my Whipple, which put 560 to the wheels on literally brand new Toyo MTs (these could have easily cost me 20-30 hp on an inertia dyno).

BeansGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your operating and the temps your running it in . But my experience with Roots blowers is they create a bunch of heat and if running extended periods of time you loose HP and TRQ . On my Mustang I run a 2.6L kennebell and if towed to track its repeatable times between runs , If I drive to track it is way hot and takes hours to cool down to make consistent runs. I am looking into options and was looking to turbo mine as well and hadn't found a kit that was worth while and I am actually looking at the Procharger kit now they produce less heat and are easy to cool down with a **** shot or small N2o if needed . As the Roots doesn't really help much . The plus to the Roots is instantaneous Trq and HP which can be bad off roading sometimes , and the pocharger builds the HP/Trq over the RPM so your not spinning so much in the dirt/mud .My .02 check out the procharger

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your operating and the temps your running it in . But my experience with Roots blowers is they create a bunch of heat and if running extended periods of time you loose HP and TRQ . On my Mustang I run a 2.6L kennebell and if towed to track its repeatable times between runs , If I drive to track it is way hot and takes hours to cool down to make consistent runs. I am looking into options and was looking to turbo mine as well and hadn't found a kit that was worth while and I am actually looking at the Procharger kit now they produce less heat and are easy to cool down with a **** shot or small N2o if needed . As the Roots doesn't really help much . The plus to the Roots is instantaneous Trq and HP which can be bad off roading sometimes , and the pocharger builds the HP/Trq over the RPM so your not spinning so much in the dirt/mud .My .02 check out the procharger

fyi a whipple is a twin screw, i think your thing of the rousch which is a roots blower

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Technology keeps going forward my friend.

I'm sure you have been through all the Mustang Forums.
Why don't you look through some of the new Whippled Mustang threads.

A Whipple is not a root blower first off.
It's a very efficient twin screw with a extra large intercooler under the blower.
And the large HD HE with twin fans and your good to go.

And there are quite a few Whippled Raptor running a **** kit in the hot southern parts of the US. And it works very well.
I would be running a **** kit myself but the cost and extra work doesn't seem worth it to me for the month I could use it as a daily driver.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

fyi a whipple is a twin screw, i think your thing of the rousch which is a roots blower

HAhahaha, you beat me to it. LOL

OP
OP
L

lbrewster4

Reaction score
Well does anyone on here actually know of a successful hellion kit being run? I know all the pros for just putting a whipple or a roush on it. The hellion kit itself is $9,000 plus some add ons and I can do the install myself so the only real trouble seems to be the tune for it. Is there any good tunes out there for it that could be a good base for a tuner around me to start on? Its just hard seeing the numbers that englishrodder had put down to the wheels and comparing it to the whipple without even considering the hellion kit as an option.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well does anyone on here actually know of a successful hellion kit being run? I know all the pros for just putting a whipple or a roush on it. The hellion kit itself is $9,000 plus some add ons and I can do the install myself so the only real trouble seems to be the tune for it. Is there any good tunes out there for it that could be a good base for a tuner around me to start on? Its just hard seeing the numbers that englishrodder had put down to the wheels and comparing it to the whipple without even considering the hellion kit as an option.

All I've seen are tuning woes from that kit, one guy actually removed the kit. English rodder never gave feedback on the kit until suddenly he was selling and of course it was flawless (who wouldn't say that when trying to offload a vehicle). Hellion has done no real tuning and R&D on that kid, I would never spend my hard earned money to pay for a companies R&D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk