Heavy engine knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankL1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m sorry if this has been posted previously. If it has, I’ll be happy to take down and look at initial thread(s).

Long story-short, got my new to me Raptor(62,157+/-) had it for ten days and tranny went out. Installed new transmission at Ford.

When I originally purchased the truck prior to the transmission going out, there was a vague knock/tap that you’d be able to hear from the passenger foot side area. Not noticeable unless you really tried to concentrate.

It sat for a few months (Nov-March), just got it about a week and a half ago. I started to hear the knock again, a little louder this time but not greatly noticeable in cab. Now about 4 days ago, it started to become noticeable in the cab and consistent.
From the cab and outside - it seems like it’s coming from the passenger lower end, can’t make if it’s towards the grill or firewall.

It’s happening at idle and in motion (drive/neutral/reverse at under 5 mph) before surrounding noises take over.

I seen a video on YouTube and posting it as reference:

The initial start time on my truck, knocking is usually 10-16 seconds after start and stays.

I’m new to Ford completely but doing some research online and a lot seem to have this, but not exactly the way it’s portrayed at least I think. Some people say cam phasers, lifters?, and some have even stated piston slap. This engine is completely new to me and still learning its ways.

On a side note, I’ve checked the oil level after cooling(15 minutes or so). It’s on the hash - but not. The markings of oil level is vague and runs up a ways on the dipstick.

Hopefully it isn’t a big issue - being said, is there any 3rd company extended warranties you recommended?(Might need a separate thread for this).

Thank you in advance!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many people are still confusing normal High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) operation with mechanical issues. Remove the engine cover and see if the noise is isolated to the HPFP; it’s located toward the rear on the passenger side valve cover. If the HPFP is the source of the noise, that is normal operation.

The only way to determine the actual oil level is to allow the engine to cold soak and then check the dipstick. The 15 minutes only allow enough time for the oil to drain back and register on the hash marks.

T-Rex 7

Reaction score
It will continue to make noise after starting and get louder as you get close to the end of your powertrain warranty. You will notice a engine knock while in traffic or at an idle. I know because I had my phaser assembly replaced 1,000 miles before my warranty ended for free after I contacted the Ford Headquarters and a friendly Ford dealership. My raptor run and sounds like a new vehicle.

T-Rex 7