Heated Wheel Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricsan

Reaction score
Quick update on the heated steering wheel retrofit. I have a 23 Raptor and I initially bought the ML3Z-3F791-BB and after installing everything and have the changes done thru Forscan, the heated steering wheel worked but the left and right steering wheel buttons didn’t work. I did some further research and checked which was the SCCM for a 22 Raptor and for my surprise, it was referring to ML3Z-3F791-HB. I bought the ML3Z-3F791-HB, received today and installed it, everything worked as it should.

So, per my understanding, the ML3Z-3F791-BB is applicable for all trims besides the Raptor, which makes sense as the 22 and 23 Raptor steering wheel buttons are different.

Would Be interesting to know if anybody was able to complete the retrofit on 22 and 23 Raptors using the ML3Z-3F791-BB instead of ML3Z-3F791-HB.

See attached photo of the ML3Z-3F791-HB unit

Attachments

• 20230308_171116.jpg
    20230308_171116.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230308_154244.jpg
    20230308_154244.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230308_154249.jpg
    20230308_154249.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 47

MZRaptor

Reaction score
Any photos of the issue spot/clip as a heads up to pay attention to that spot?
I'm not sure - I must have lost it. And I can't find it. I'm hoping @Wichadicha can provide some more info including the aftermarket replacement that he used. I'd love to get that looking tight again.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go

So the takeaways here for those tackling in the upcoming weeks/months...
1) be careful in that particular corner not to lose/break that clip
2) check all trim pieces and dash after removal to ensure all clips removed properly, add replacements if any missing/broken

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@xlover were you able to get it done?
Yes! Did it last night. Everything seems to be working correctly.
A few notes and a few takeaways to perhaps add to @MZRaptor post
General notes:
Did the boosted greygoose kit, sccm + hvac kit.
As has been the case with everyone else to date, had heated wheel and wiring harness already
The trim is a PITA, but I think we helped by ford level fit and finish… I couldn’t imagine doing this to my wife’s X7 and have it go back together like factory
My components took programming first try
My airbag did not explode as I still have hands to type

Takeaways:
-helpful item, I bought a cheap craft felt sheet from Amazon to lay over the console and move around as needed to protect parts from scratching where I could (will cut up and repurpose for other projects down the road)
-before disconnecting battery, move seats as far back and down as they go, steering column as far out as it goes, put shifter in down position (I didn’t do this and it made things harder than it needed to be, I was also too stubborn to reconnect the battery just to do these things)
-consider a second set of hands when replacing steering wheel bolt, hard to simultaneously get leverage on the torque wrench, hold the wrench in place, and stop the steering wheel from rotating.
-triple check the thigh trim pieces, there are three slots to ensure it sits flush to the dash/hvac panel, ensuring the top slot grabs while lining up the lower ones took a few tries. Mistake here leaves an obvious gap next to the hvac panel

Edit: fun fact my stock HVAC unit and the replacement from the BGG kit with heat steering button were made within 7 days of each other late sept/early oct 22

Last edited:

MZRaptor

Reaction score
Yes! Did it last night. Everything seems to be working correctly.
A few notes and a few takeaways to perhaps add to @MZRaptor post
General notes:
Did the boosted greygoose kit, sccm + hvac kit.
As has been the case with everyone else to date, had heated wheel and wiring harness already
The trim is a PITA, but I think we helped by ford level fit and finish… I couldn’t imagine doing this to my wife’s X7 and have it go back together like factory
My components took programming first try
My airbag did not explode as I still have hands to type

Takeaways:
-helpful item, I bought a cheap craft felt sheet from Amazon to lay over the console and move around as needed to protect parts from scratching where I could (will cut up and repurpose for other projects down the road)
-before disconnecting battery, move seats as far back and down as they go, steering column as far out as it goes, put shifter in down position (I didn’t do this and it made things harder than it needed to be, I was also too stubborn to reconnect the battery just to do these things)
-consider a second set of hands when replacing steering wheel bolt, hard to simultaneously get leverage on the torque wrench, hold the wrench in place, and stop the steering wheel from rotating.
-triple check the thigh trim pieces, there are three slots to ensure it sits flush to the dash/hvac panel, ensuring the top slot grabs while lining up the lower ones took a few tries. Mistake here leaves an obvious gap next to the hvac panel

Edit: fun fact my stock HVAC unit and the replacement from the BGG kit with heat steering button were made within 7 days of each other late sept/early oct 22
Great work! I'll update my post with your findings :)