Heat Gun on interior scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads here recommending the use of a heat gun (carefully) to alleviate scratches on the interior plastic - and I've seen a few instances where it made the issue worse.

I've got about a millimeter deep gouge in my driver side door, and it is very noticeable in the sunlight at certain angles (mainly when I'm sitting in the driver's seat). I really just want to hide the sharp edges, soften them up a bit as it were.

My question is, should I buy a heat gun and carefully heat it up, maintaining a far distance and aiming away from my leather, or should I try something else?

View attachment 101471

I can't speak for interior plastic pieces, but I use a heat gun regularly to remove scratches on the plastics on my sport quad. Not hard to do and it has a noticeable improvement. That said, you need to be really careful not to apply too much heat or you will go in the wrong direction from a looks standpoint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those wondering, the trim is very resistant to the heat gun if you are careful. I could see this helping in my instance. Reason I know now is the body shop tried the technique on a different area of the panel that they screwed up bad. Thankfully I'm getting a new panel, but thought I'd share the news for others.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told you.

It doesn’t work well on the raptor interior.

Ford made the interior cheap and aesthetically displeasing. They are so far behind Dodge in the interior department that it makes me sad.

On the bright side.... you just know that Hellcat T-Rex is going to have a beautiful interior and it’s going to look great in my stable next to my Raptor.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I told you.

It doesn’t work well on the raptor interior.

Ford made the interior cheap and aesthetically displeasing. They are so far behind Dodge in the interior department that it makes me sad.

On the bright side.... you just know that Hellcat T-Rex is going to have a beautiful interior and it’s going to look great in my stable next to my Raptor.

I like the interior overall but they definitely saved a bunch of money on it for sure. You're right about Dodge tho.

ron.bumpus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to lightly use a magic eraser and got rid of a 2" scratch I had to blend the entire area but you can't even see it anymore

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thought some of you might be interested to know that Forever Black Trim Restorer works pretty well at re-dying scuffs on the interior. It is a little darker, so under very close inspection it will show if you don't blend it well, but way better than the bright white our cheap plastics scuff to whenever they get brushed up against. I'm currently researching to see if I can get a dye that perfectly matches our interior.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I love the interior on our trucks, it definitely seems an area where Ford saved a bunch of money. It seems really fragile to me. The silver plastic scuffs easy, and the plastic in general scratches if something so much as brushes it. I've never had another vehicle that I felt the interior was as vulnerable on, let alone a truck. Anyone else feel the same way?
I do.
Wife and i took a couple of week long trips this summer.
Driver and passenger door armrests are both dulled out from our arms resting upon them.
Its like the texture is worn down somewhat.
I have older vehicles that are not like this.
Annoying