Heat Gun on interior scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads here recommending the use of a heat gun (carefully) to alleviate scratches on the interior plastic - and I've seen a few instances where it made the issue worse.

I've got about a millimeter deep gouge in my driver side door, and it is very noticeable in the sunlight at certain angles (mainly when I'm sitting in the driver's seat). I really just want to hide the sharp edges, soften them up a bit as it were.

My question is, should I buy a heat gun and carefully heat it up, maintaining a far distance and aiming away from my leather, or should I try something else?

IMAG1092.jpg

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d let an experienced detail shop touch it up or at least get some advice from one.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You already tried to rub it or buff it or sand it I can see.

Don’t use a heat gun. Use a really good hot hair dryer and some silicone oil on a microfiber cloth and buff while getting it toasty. You’re going to wreck it with a heat gun.

You’ll make it less visible but you won’t remove it.

I've seen a few threads here recommending the use of a heat gun (carefully) to alleviate scratches on the interior plastic - and I've seen a few instances where it made the issue worse.

I've got about a millimeter deep gouge in my driver side door, and it is very noticeable in the sunlight at certain angles (mainly when I'm sitting in the driver's seat). I really just want to hide the sharp edges, soften them up a bit as it were.

My question is, should I buy a heat gun and carefully heat it up, maintaining a far distance and aiming away from my leather, or should I try something else?

View attachment 101471

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it bothers you that much, take to a pro and get it fixed right. That's not a thing to learn on.

Alternative is a very small dab of black silicone.
At least it's easy to reverse if you get too much or smear it. VERY small dab, let it skin over, press/smooth with pinky. Do NOT try to smooth when the surface is wet.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You already tried to rub it or buff it or sand it I can see.

Don’t use a heat gun. Use a really good hot hair dryer and some silicone oil on a microfiber cloth and buff while getting it toasty. You’re going to wreck it with a heat gun.

You’ll make it less visible but you won’t remove it.

Thanks guys. I'm not concerned about removing it, just want it not to be so obvious from the one spot I spend the most time.

I actually haven't sanded it - that was from cleaning and rubbing with my finger. My interior detailer adds a bit of shine, and in this picture it was gone in that area.

Actually I tried a different product last night and it seemed to have actually hid it this time. I'll check in full sun later today, but if so I'll just leave it alone. Else I'll try the hair dryer.

If it bothers you that much, take to a pro and get it fixed right. That's not a thing to learn on.

Alternative is a very small dab of black silicone.
At least it's easy to reverse if you get too much or smear it. VERY small dab, let it skin over, press/smooth with pinky. Do NOT try to smooth when the surface is wet.

If I could find a pro that I could trust within an hour, I would. But nobody seems to do it, at least anyone I'd trust. Good tip about the silicone, I had seem some people use black acryllic paint. I'm really good at touching up rock chips, and the process seems similar, but more forgiving.

Only reason I was thinking heat gun is I wanted to warm it up just enough to soften the edges, and bring the black color back. But obviously I don't want to mess up the surround texture, or worse, mess up the glue for the leather armrest.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plastic shrinks when hot. Might turn out fine...or...if there's a crack, turn into a nice hole.

yellowssm

Reaction score
mine had 2 small 1/2 - 3/4" scratches/gouges right on the top of glove box area and I was kinda bummed out but I did pay invoice so I let it slide lol.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As much as I love the interior on our trucks, it definitely seems an area where Ford saved a bunch of money. It seems really fragile to me. The silver plastic scuffs easy, and the plastic in general scratches if something so much as brushes it. I've never had another vehicle that I felt the interior was as vulnerable on, let alone a truck. Anyone else feel the same way?