Headlights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samimasoud

Reaction score
Hello Raptor guru’s
I need help
Just got a 2012 ford raptor and the previous owner had custom head lights installed as per the picture
A week after the purchase the headlights started acting up and 2 days after that stopped working on both low beam and high beam. Sometimes the high beam flashes for less then a second then off again
The ford dealer are the ones that have installed them so I dropped the truck there and got a call today saying they would need to install new original lights to find out what the problem and they are $1800
I was wondering if someone can tell me where these lights were purchased from as he got them online and what can I do look at to start fixing the issue

IMG_0169.JPG

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for corrosion in the grey headlight plugs. I had retrofit headlights on mine the last 3-4 years, and going back to stock halogens I had some similar issues. With aftermarket HIDs the new harness does not use the drivers side plug. Even taped up well, the pins needed some brushing. Was the fix for me atleast.

Beyond that, check the obvious fuses in the passenger kickpanel, separate fuse for each side. believe its fuses 16/17 and 39 for hibeam. Dealer tech most likely would have checked this first, but on slim chance theyre looking to upcharge, its easy stuff for you to confirm and rule out first.

If you do need a new headlight, u can buy takeoff halogen sets for under $300 from members here.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'd get the truck from the dealer. Where are you located? Maybe someone close to you can help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely the problem is with the relay, or the connection at the relay. I would clean the connections well where the harness attaches to the relay. Also, make sure that it is in a location where water is not splashing on it constantly. @2014RubyRed made shields and taped up his relay well, maybe he can post a link. And like he said, no pics are showing up.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd guess it's a bad relay and/or connection. I'd check and clean all your connections. I packed all my connections with dialectric grease to prevent corrosion. Beyond that, check with Raptor Retrofit or Morimoto directly to see about getting a replacement relay box if you determine that yours is bad. Also, ensure that the relay is mounted vertically so that water drains off or out of the box rather than settling in or on it. Taping that connection in particular might help as well.

Another thing to check is the ground connections. There's one for each headlight. It's quite possible the ground connections are loose or corroded.

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was figuring you were back to oe headlights and them not working...

Majority of my issues with retrofits were resolved with new harness/relay. Can get a new one from retrofitsource for $40

OP
OP
S

samimasoud

Reaction score
sorry for the late reply its the time difference am based in Qatar

Thank You all for the replies and as an update

- I got the car back from ford
-Checked the wiring and found a loose wire in the back of one of the Headlights that is connected to the yellow cable connector which I have replaced and all started working fine for about 12 hours
- Now am back at square one :)
-attached is the picture
- am thinking of changing the relay

let me know what you think

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 77

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corrosion or a bad ground, or both. Start there and check them all. If that's not it order the relay harness as it's the cheapest thing to do first. Could be a ballast, but those are pricey......