Headlights just started cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I’d think if it were a chemical reaction, you’d see some discoloration/cloudiness to the plastic too. Yours looks clear.

I think the headlights are normally vented, but could this be a case of pressurizing due to lack of vent holes? Would be odd to have both sides exhibit the same manufacturing defect though.

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is weird that both sides are somewhat symetrical in the effect and it happened at the same timeframe. itwil be interesting to see what the service team says. I know dealers love to bill the manufacturer for warranty work.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use the same cleaning products on my 2007 tundra and wifes 2015 BMW x5 with zero issues
Ok, but what are they? I could understand there being a defect if one headlight cracked, but the fact that both of them started cracking the same time after you washed your truck is why I question what you used on your truck. I work with plastic and polycarbonate in particular so just trying to help you out. Even if you get these fixed under warranty, I am sure you wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hemmy thanks .. Used Griots Garage Bug and Smudge remover to remove all bugs. wash with Meguairs car wash. finish with griots garage ceramic speed shine (used their ceramic spray wax)

have done this routine before with no issues. my initial thought was it was the bug remover but not the first time i have used that product.

talked to GG and sent photos. they have never heard of issues and have forwarded to product development team

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hemmy thanks .. Used Griots Garage Bug and Smudge remover to remove all bugs. wash with Meguairs car wash. finish with griots garage ceramic speed shine (used their ceramic spray wax)

have done this routine before with no issues. my initial thought was it was the bug remover but not the first time i have used that product.

talked to GG and sent photos. they have never heard of issues and have forwarded to product development team
I would maybe question the Ceramic Speed Shine you used. It contains Ethyl Silicates. If the lenses are polycarbonate, polycarbonate plastic does not resist most Ethyl based chemicals. Here is a link to a chemical resistance on polycarbonate. Check the ingredients and make sure none of that is on here. I have even seen polycarbonate parts get ruined from the fumes of a chemical that PC is not resistant to.

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hemmy

thanks for the info. below is the ingredient list for the products. cross referencing your link, they do not appear to contain any of the chemicals that would cause cracking or crazing.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 9.16.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-11 at 9.22.25 AM.png

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to Ford. Master Tech said stress fractures and ford should cover it. service advisors looked perplexed. they took some pictures and are filing a warranty claim. hopefully it gets accepted and then I learn how long it will take to get replacements.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since we are discussing chemicals, I use invisible glass (tint safe) for the windows, mirrors and lenses. Then I use rain-x. I think you can accomplish the same if not better by using those two and nothing else.

Last edited: