Head unit upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneck729

Reaction score
After searching through all the threads I still am unsure. Is it worth upgrading the stock radio to an aftermarket? I have just the base radio (non Sony or nav). I have a sub an amp to install, and also plan on replacing the speakers. Would the aftermarket have any advantages?

I am also on how difficult it would be to fit either a reg or double din unit, and finding a dash cover to fit.

sandygar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my factory Sony system (non nav) with a Kenwood 9980 gps unit in my 2012 Raptor. There are a couple of companies that offer kits to install the head unit and dash kits for double din. There are wiring harnesses that let you keep the sync or one that lets you eliminate it (the way I chose to go). It was a lot of work to redo the whole system (head unit, amps, speakers, and sub) and if I didn't already have the equipment I probably wouldn't have done it, but the system is done and it sounds fantastic.

weissyboy

Reaction score
where did you get all the mounts and wiring harnesses from? im looking to do the same thing and just want to make sure i have everything i need before i start, i think i would like to keep the ford sync in the process

sandygar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't remember the brand names. I would think that any good stereo shop could get them for you. The kit to mount the head unit isn't very expensive, but the harness to retain the sync is. It does retain the steering wheel controls. The non sync harness needs an extra module to use the steering wheel controls.