Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be clear, I don't think anyone is talking about power differences. That topic is put to bed. But, the reliability topic is a fair, open point for discussion. Any time reliability is brought up, the same repeat answer of "well, it makes way more power" is always used. It really isn't 'way more power'... it just a bit. If you want 'way more power', get a TRX.

It's power under the curve they like. The TT Cyclone has way more low end torque (when it's in boost) compared to the 6.2L.

The TT Cyclone is OK, I own one and drive it a few times a week. But it ain't all that. Anyone who has owned a modern forced induction V8 does not consider it anything special. Wow, a whopping 500 HP with a tune? In a 5500 lb vehicle? What a snooze. It's not fast, and unfortunately, the Gen 1 is even slower given the steel body, less gears, and 40 less HP. Even more unfortunately, the Gen 3 is slow AF as well.

Ford, we've been patiently waiting for a desirable engine in the aluminum body Raptor. Tapping my fingers, looking at plenty of money sitting here to buy one. Guess I'll build that huge garage instead.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vid is a well maintained 70K mile 09-14 version of the TT Cyclone, but all the same **** is gonna happen to the 15+ variant of the TT Cyclone. Leaking coolant from the turbos, leaking oil lines, charge air cooler hoses full of oil and leaking.

"Now it's getting expensive".... Nobody is saying that working on a 6.2L.

Once again you prove you have no idea what you’re talking about. 2015 and 2016 are still Gen 1 engines. The vehicle in the video did not have the engine coolant changed at the required 5 year interval. Earlier models, including the 6.2, used Motorcraft Orange, which is similar to Dex-Cool and will become corrosive if not changed at the required interval. That is the reason the turbo coolant lines are leaking.

Gen 2 EcoBoost uses a completely different design for the oil and coolant lines regardless.

You spend an unhealthy amount of time spreading misinformation and speculating about an engine you don’t own, work on, nor understand.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's NOT A CYCLONE engine!!!!! Yeah I know. You keep on driving that train.

You obviously don’t, because you keep spreading the same false information.

The timing components have never been revised?
"Late build 2018 and all 2019 models had an updated part that is less likely to have an issue compared with 2017 and early build 2018 models." <= Do you recognize those words? You typed them. You were talking about the massively failure prone cam phasers in the 15+ TT Cyclone engines (67 pages of posts in just that one cam phaser thread where 1/3 reported issues in the poll).

"Updated part". Does that mean the same thing as "the timing drive was never revised even once"? Hint: Updated parts with new part numbers are a revision.

Clearly reading comprehension is not your strong point. The timing drive was never revised on either generation. Timing drive refers to design of the timing system, which I clearly explained in my previous post. Replacing a cam phaser is not redesigning or revising the timing drive.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TT Cyclone is OK, I own one and drive it a few times a week. But it ain't all that. Anyone who has owned a modern forced induction V8 does not consider it anything special. Wow, a whopping 500 HP with a tune? In a 5500 lb vehicle? What a snooze. It's not fast, and unfortunately, the Gen 1 is even slower given the steel body, less gears, and 40 less HP. Even more unfortunately, the Gen 3 is slow AF as well.

Gen 2 will make 600 at the crank on easily with a tune and bolt-ons for those that want more power. Since when is a stock 0-60 time in 5.1 seconds “not fast”? And especially for a 6000lb truck on 35’s? Modded truck are running low 4’s; to say that’s slow would be comical.

Ford, we've been patiently waiting for a desirable engine in the aluminum body Raptor. Tapping my fingers, looking at plenty of money sitting here to buy one. Guess I'll build that huge garage instead.

The current engine is desirable enough that they sell every one, including Gen 3 with ADM. the majority of people don’t want 9MPG in their daily driver. For those that was a super truck there will be the R model.

will61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some help from the community on a dilemma I'm facing... I know this topic has (in general) been beaten to death but wanted to add some personal thoughts and opinions to it to see if someone could help me make a decision already! I'm so paranoid about making the wrong one that I'm still not driving a Raptor.

A 2011 Molten Orange Gen 1 with the 6.2L is my dream truck and has been since 2010. I recieved pre-approvals from my credit unions earlier this month and immediately started shopping (both private party and dealerships). I've found some great deals on Gen 1's that weren't Molten Orange and never seemed to pull the trigger due to the price and/or second guessing if I would regret buying 'that' one due to the COLOR (I know, it's weird).

To further complicate things I came across a super clean 2018 Gen 2 (Ruby Red) for only $45K with 87k miles last week. I waited a week to make up my mind and it sold the day I went to look at it. They had also sold a 2017 with similar miles for $47K the week before. According to a GM at a local dealership that I know the wholesale price for a 2018 Gen 2 with about 80K is around $45K according to their realtime system so they are clearly dropping in value. This dealership sat on both of these over 60 days and then dropped them to basically wholesale just to get rid of them.

My Dilemma - I wasn't even thinking about a Gen 2 a couple weeks ago but now that I've seen these prices I wonder should I be looking at a Gen 2 instead? Do I purchase a Gen 1 now or wait and consider both with a Gen 2 into the mix in 6-12 months when I have more of a down payment. Is a Gen worth the extra cost? Would I regret not having a Gen 1 exhaust note?

I went to drive a Gen 1 and Gen 2 back to back yesterday (something I hadn't done before). My thoughts below:

Gen 1 Positives:
- 2011 Molten Orange 6.2L (Dream Color)
- The exhaust note
- $30K gets me a 2011 w/ 90-100K from what I'm seeing in the current market
- Basically bulletproof

Gen 1 Negatives:
- Dated Interior (can't upgrade to SYNC3, etc on 2012 or older)
- On that note Molten Orange isn't available on 2013-2014 model years.
- Unless I buy Molten Orange I'm worried I'd regret not having that color. Probably be happy with Red or Blue though. Maybe white.
- 10 years old so credit union financing rates aren't as favorable as a Gen 2.
- Credit union financing for all 3 has to be within a certain range of the NADA (only slightly over) and prices have already returned to pre chip shortage prices so finding a Molten Orange 2011 within 105% of the NADA value has been difficult to say the least. Most are a $3-4K over that.

Gen 2 Positives:
- I think the exterior looks better vs Gen 1 (unless it's Molten Orange)
- Slightly better MPG
- Better interior and tech
- Drives really smooth and accelerates quickly.

Gen 2 Negatives:
- The exhaust note
- $15K more than Gen 1 with similar mileage in the current market
- No Molten Orange

So there you go! If the Gen 2 had a V8 exhaust note or was offered in Molten Orange this wouldn't even be a question.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Can't go wrong!

I think either buy a new one (70k) or a rust free Gen 1 (30-45k). Anything in between doesn't make financial sense.

Sportyworty

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 2010 Molten Orange for the same reason you are looking. It was the one I wanted when the trucks came out but my job with CAT required we have 4 doors. I enjoyed my 2010 Supercrew Lariat with 5.4 until 2019. I replaced it with a used 2014 STX Sport Supercab 5.0. and it has been a great truck and me move North from California to North Washington State. The reason I am posting is because I am at the same place you are but have the options of doing as I please now being retired. The decision is easy. Get what your heart desires and stick to it. You will never regret a decision that was intended all along.
I can’t wait to go get my new to me Orange Beast and finally check that bucket list !
Kerry

Last edited:

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 2010 Molten Orange for the same reason you are looking. It was the one I wanted when the trucks came out but my job with CAT required we have 4 doors. I enjoyed my 2010 Supercrew Lariat with 5.4 until 2019. I replaced it with a used 2014 STX Sport Supercab 5.0. and it has been a great truck and me move North from California to North Washington State. The reason I am posting is because I am at the same place you are but have the options of doing as I please now being retired. The decision is easy. Get what your heart desires and stick to it. You will never regret a decision that was intended all along.
I can’t wait to go get my new to me Orange Beast and finally check that bucket list !
Kerry
Right on

will61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kerry
Post pics when you can! I love a nice molten orange truck.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kerry
You’re the first guy I have heard of who’s actually looking for a 2010 (vs 2011-14) Raptor. Why would you want the 5.4 when next year is the 6.2?

Like you, I had a 5.4 (2010 XLT) before getting my 19 Raptor. The 5.4 was/is a great motor for a regular F-150, just curious why not get a 6.2.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re the first guy I have heard of who’s actually looking for a 2010 (vs 2011-14) Raptor. Why would you want the 5.4 when next year is the 6.2?

Like you, I had a 5.4 (2010 XLT) before getting my 19 Raptor. The 5.4 was/is a great motor for a regular F-150, just curious why not get a 6.2.
There were 6.2L engines available in the Raptor in 2010 also. The 5.4 was the standard engine for it. 6.2 was an option in 2010