Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have nothing against the motor, i was having Fordtechone’s back because he’s right about the 6.2.
While its not necessarily a bad motor at all, its just kind of old fashioned design. And in my opinion is just kinda meh. Pitted against the chevy and ford 6L mills of the same vintage they produce power more readily in my opinion and also have better packaging. The ford 6.2 is not ubiquitous for a reason. The LS6.2 and also the Hemi 6.4 in both NA and Supercharged are literally everywhere. This is all my opinion. But if you want to ahit on an ecoboost ok no prob, but dont go and say the 6.2 is like some holy grail of v-8’s when its (as fto would say) kind of like a bus engine with old technology.
Understood. I don't have a dog in this fight. I love them all regardless of cylinder count.

200.gif

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I have nothing against the motor, i was having Fordtechone’s back because he’s right about the 6.2.
While its not necessarily a bad motor at all, its just kind of old fashioned design. And in my opinion is just kinda meh. Pitted against the chevy and ford 6L mills of the same vintage they produce power more readily in my opinion and also have better packaging. The ford 6.2 is not ubiquitous for a reason. The LS6.2 and also the Hemi 6.4 in both NA and Supercharged are literally everywhere. This is all my opinion. But if you want to ahit on an ecoboost ok no prob, but dont go and say the 6.2 is like some holy grail of v-8’s when its (as fto would say) kind of like a bus engine with old technology.

Before I type this, I acknowledge that the 3.5 eco HO is a better choice then the 6.2 for a raptor.

Having said that what was the setup on the GM truck in the video? On 35’s, etc?
It is never apples to apples when we compare anything.

Ideally I would like to see a comparison of changing all the differences between the gen 1 and 2. Example gen 2 truck with 6.2 and 10 speed vs gen 1 with ecoboost and 6 speed. Then flip the trans and see what happens, etc.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before I type this, I acknowledge that the 3.5 eco HO is a better choice then the 6.2 for a raptor.

Having said that what was the setup on the GM truck in the video? On 35’s, etc?
It is never apples to apples when we compare anything.

Ideally I would like to see a comparison of changing all the differences between the gen 1 and 2. Example gen 2 truck with 6.2 and 10 speed vs gen 1 with ecoboost and 6 speed. Then flip the trans and see what happens, etc.
Fair enough, it was just the first one I could find… all good points.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough, it was just the first one I could find… all good points.
That’s not to say the end result would be different, but might have been closer.

I like my 6.2, I don’t necessarily think it is the best though. So if/when it bites the dust, I’ll be looking strongly into a 7.3 swap.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s not to say the end result would be different, but might have been closer.

I like my 6.2, I don’t necessarily think it is the best though. So if/when it bites the dust, I’ll be looking strongly into a 7.3 swap.
Like i said its bot tht its a bad engine. Just more for an HD application. Vans 250’s and such.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like i said its bot tht its a bad engine. Just more for an HD application. Vans 250’s and such.
In all fairness my replacement engine choice also fits that bill.

There really isn’t much aftermarket support for the 6.2 and there seems to be a bit more for the 7.3.

The one thing I will add, if you keep the 6.2 around 4,000 rpms in say second gear it does what I need it too. Honestly if I could get rid of the torque management or whatever it is that when I try to hit it wide open and I get nothing, then I would be much happier. Also can’t manually shift it into first unless you slow way down.

#computerproblems.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
...but dont go and say the 6.2 is like some holy grail of v-8’s when its (as fto would say) kind of like a bus engine with old technology.
I'm not saying that and I don't think anyone else is either, but the Gen-1 8-cyl Raptor is the best 8-cyl Raptor currently available. That is all. Those of us who have Gen-1 8-cyl's are just tired of everyone else dumping on them.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm not saying that and I don't think anyone else is either, but the Gen-1 8-cyl Raptor is the best 8-cyl Raptor currently available. That is all. Those of us who have Gen-1 8-cyl's are just tired of everyone else dumping on them.

yeah, some folks get all bent out of shape about the Jen Juan ‘bitter clingers’, but I get holding on to a vehicle that you like, hasn’t let you down huge and does exactly what you need. I started out in a ’70 Mercury Cougar and would love to have one again ( which I would promptly start going nuts on power wise...)

If your truck is out getting dirty, I don’t care about the cylinder count, you’re not at mall crawling or cruising starbucks.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah, some folks get all bent out of shape about the Jen Juan ‘bitter clingers’, but I get holding on to a vehicle that you like, hasn’t let you down huge and does exactly what you need. I started out in a ’70 Mercury Cougar and would love to have one again ( which I would promptly start going nuts on power wise...)

If your truck is out getting dirty, I don’t care about the cylinder count, you’re not at mall crawling or cruising starbucks.
:happy175: I hear you! That's why there is a 1998 V-70R still sitting in my garage that I've had since new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir