Has Ford corrected the Cam Phaser rattle in Gen3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the cam phaser repair done at 50K miles in my 2017. Now at 65K miles, and out of warranty, it is back. I also have a leaky plastic oil pan. I am considering upgrading to a Gen3. Has Ford finally corrected the cam phaser issue in the Gen3? Any new issues to look out for with the Gen3?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The fix has been out for years, 2020. Tons of threads on this topic.

Fix is a PCM update for cam phaser parking that needs to be done BEFORE the rattle starts.

After the rattle there are updated parts.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I had the new parts installed but 15K miles later it is back. Do you think this is an indication that they just installed the same parts before they came out with an upgraded part in 2020? Has anyone gotten Ford to compensate to get the "real fix" done after their failed attempt? This sucks because my truck is now out of warranty and this is like an $8K job to get them to "do it right" this time.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I said, I had the new parts installed but 15K miles later it is back. Do you think this is an indication that they just installed the same parts before they came out with an upgraded part in 2020? Has anyone gotten Ford to compensate to get the "real fix" done after their failed attempt? This sucks because my truck is now out of warranty and this is like an $8K job to get them to "do it right" this time.
Like Nex said…it’s been resolved in production for over 3 years. Way before Gen 3 launched.

When did you have your 2017 repaired? Did you have FSA 21B10 completed?

As far as $8k…that’s not even in the ballpark. It’s a few hundred in parts and 10 hours labor.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to find the history of what they did. I know that 21B10 was the PCM re-program and that 21N03 was for new parts. I took my truck to the dealer in response to a CSP showing on FordPass or from a letter in mail, not sure which. The history is not visible on the app. I guess I have to call the service department and have them send me a repair history to see exactly what/when they did it. The $8K was a "ball park" the service tech told me when I asked how much the cam phaser repair would be if I had to pay for it.

Update: I just ran by my local Ford dealer that did my repair. It was 21N03 performed in Aug of 2021. I *should* have the upgraded parts but it seems it's back. Is this what the cam phaser rattle sounds like? It last under 2 seconds on cold start then stops.

Last edited:

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the answer you are looking for is, YES, the phaser issue does not impact Gen 3 (at least that owners have seen thus far).

The rest of this is all gen 2 discussion.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the answer you are looking for is, YES, the phaser issue does not impact Gen 3 (at least that owners have seen thus far).

The rest of this is all gen 2 discussion.
Thanks. I'll take further discussion to the Gen 2 forum.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to find the history of what they did. I know that 21B10 was the PCM re-program and that CSP 21N03 was for new parts. I took my truck to the dealer in response to a CSP showing on FordPass or from a letter in mail, not sure which. The history is not visible on the app. I guess I have to call the service department and have them send me a repair history to see exactly what/when they did it. The $8K was a "ball park" the service tech told me when I asked how much the cam phaser repair would be if I had to pay for it.

Update: I just ran by my local Ford dealer that did my repair. It was 21N03 performed in Aug of 2021. I *should* have the upgraded parts but it seems it's back. Is this what the cam phaser rattle sounds like? It last under 2 seconds on cold start then stops.

thats def it

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to find the history of what they did. I know that 21B10 was the PCM re-program and that CSP 21N03 was for new parts. I took my truck to the dealer in response to a CSP showing on FordPass or from a letter in mail, not sure which. The history is not visible on the app. I guess I have to call the service department and have them send me a repair history to see exactly what/when they did it. The $8K was a "ball park" the service tech told me when I asked how much the cam phaser repair would be if I had to pay for it.

I had all the TSB's done on my 2018 when they replaced them about a year ago. Was supposed to have all the updated parts. Started making noise and it's under the knife. Not too happy considering I'm headed to Baja in 3 days

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has Ford finally corrected the cam phaser issue in the Gen3? Any new issues to look out for with the Gen3?
To your 1st questions, others have addressed. To your second, start here…

…and continue to do some digging around here.