Has anyone tried any oil additives in the 3.5 l EcoBoost and heard or made any actual difference in the performance and longevity of the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use two oil additives… Marvel Mystery oil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. My process is filling the crankcase with the recommended Motorcraft oil (5qt container), and Lucas Oil Stabilzer (1qt for it’s fantastic lubricant properties). Approximately every 2-3 oil changes I will run the Motorcraft and Marvel Mystery Oil (for cleaning purposes). The next oil change will include Lucas again. Then process continues.

I’ve been doing this on a few vehicles I’ve owned over the years. One is a 2004 Expedition with the 5.4 Triton. Not sure if the exact mileage as my daughter drives it now, but the last time I looked it was sitting at 306,000mi on the odometer. My current 2016 Ecoboost is sitting at 199,736mi. Just had FordMakuLoco do the timing chain, coolants flush, blah, blah blah. I like some of the new stuff out there, but I plan on keeping my Expedition for a long time, so gotta keep it up.

As a matter of fact I’m heading to the craft shop this morning for an oil change; amongst other services as well. I heard the person earlier say engines don’t need additives… I disagree. And we are all entitled to our opinions. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing because it works for me. Part of what I do comes from my years in aviation maintenance. The standard is higher in that industry for obvious reasons. Can’t pullover an Apache, Chinook, or Blackhawk helicopter and kick the tires at 12,000-15,000ft in the air.

So I guess the difference I speak of is longevity. Can’t tell you how many LKQ alerts I get on my phone on how many early model Expeditions have hit the junkyards that week. Unfortunately, no amount of engine lubrication can help the interior parts. So, I keep an eye out on new junkyard victims for miscellaneous parts. Many of the ones I see there have way less miles than my ‘04. Now that’s not to say that they are all there due to engine failure. That’s only obvious in some instances.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use two oil additives… Marvel Mystery oil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. My process is filling the crankcase with the recommended Motorcraft oil (5qt container), and Lucas Oil Stabilzer (1qt for it’s fantastic lubricant properties). Approximately every 2-3 oil changes I will run the Motorcraft and Marvel Mystery Oil (for cleaning purposes). The next oil change will include Lucas again. Then process continues.

I’ve been doing this on a few vehicles I’ve owned over the years. One is a 2004 Expedition with the 5.4 Triton. Not sure if the exact mileage as my daughter drives it now, but the last time I looked it was sitting at 306,000mi on the odometer. My current 2016 Ecoboost is sitting at 199,736mi. Just had FordMakuLoco do the timing chain, coolants flush, blah, blah blah. I like some of the new stuff out there, but I plan on keeping my Expedition for a long time, so gotta keep it up.

As a matter of fact I’m heading to the craft shop this morning for an oil change; amongst other services as well. I heard the person earlier say engines don’t need additives… I disagree. And we are all entitled to our opinions. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing because it works for me. Part of what I do comes from my years in aviation maintenance. The standard is higher in that industry for obvious reasons. Can’t pullover an Apache, Chinook, or Blackhawk helicopter and kick the tires at 12,000-15,000ft in the air.

So I guess the difference I speak of is longevity. Can’t tell you how many LKQ alerts I get on my phone on how many early model Expeditions have hit the junkyards that week. Unfortunately, no amount of engine lubrication can help the interior parts. So, I keep an eye out on new junkyard victims for miscellaneous parts. Many of the ones I see there have way less miles than my ‘04. Now that’s not to say that they are all there due to engine failure. That’s only obvious in some instances.
Hate to be devils advocate here or debate for debate’s sake, no argument that engines can’t benefit from oil additives, but maybe using a higher quality true synthetic in the first place - like the Amsoil SS I use- in place of motorcraft oil would negate the need for Lucas/marvel stuff, implementing a higher quality synth oil + catch can even more so, a lot of what that marvel stuff “cleans” would’ve have been caught in a catch can to begin w/

Amsoil signature series full synthetic already has a bevy of cleaning agents added to it along w/ other stuff, has a very high TBN outta the bottle.

Food for thought

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red line oil best base stock etc.
Oils are specifically chemically formulated to provide and protect ( yes some oils are way better than others, not going into a chem e discussion)
But additives are like adding extra eggs or sugar or flour to your perfect whatever food recipe ! Not needed and can will spoil your outcome.
But buy all the snake oil you need to make you happy with peace of mind,
STP anyone lol

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used this stuff on all my daily drivers, and even my 800HP LS3 fox body. This stuff works wonders, eliminating dry starts and just keeps the engine running great.

…and that is great for you. However, at best, it is absolutely worthless for your engine. However, if you believe it “works wonders”, then no one can prove to you that you’re wrong. Whatever makes you happy is just fine.

gxgn

Reaction score
Is anyone using the recommended Motorcraft full synthetic oil? Is it that terrible that nobody recommends it? I would prefer to have the oil changes done at the dealer to avoid any discussions for the next 8 years of extended warranty.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using the recommended Motorcraft full synthetic oil? Is it that terrible that nobody recommends it? I would prefer to have the oil changes done at the dealer to avoid any discussions for the next 8 years of extended warranty.

I think the 5w30 is a blend, not full Syn. If you change it at 5k rather than 10k you’ll be fine with it though. Beware that dealers will put whatever is in their bulk drums into everything. You must insist that your preferences are listed on the techs work order, not just “oil change”.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score

I bring in Amsoil SS to the dealership for oil changes. It's still on record that way.

Reaction score
…and that is great for you. However, at best, it is absolutely worthless for your engine. However, if you believe it “works wonders”, then no one can prove to you that you’re wrong. Whatever makes you happy is just fine.
well it eliminates dry starts, so that's something beneficial. But, if you feel the need to seem superior typing your two cents, whatever makes you happy i guess.