Has anyone tried any oil additives in the 3.5 l EcoBoost and heard or made any actual difference in the performance and longevity of the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Who knew oil thread occurred outside of motorcycle forums?

This guy has a bunch of wear data for various oil using his testing parameters. it’s a long read, and data / rankings are toward the bottom, heavily disclaimed, but pretty methodically analyzed anyway

I’ve had a few bikes built for me over the years. The dyno has consistently reported +1 to +2 hp up top going from dino to synthetic oil.

I just use recycled 30 weight from my chainsaw myself. It’s a truck, AMIRITE?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats with the avatar swap!?

Penz ultra Platinum
Amsoil
Royal Purple HPS
Red Line EPR

Im starting to think short OCI is the way to go tho. As long as youre 5k or under i think thats key.
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

There are questions people should ask themselves.

Anything
built since the late 80's I am going to call "Modern".

Since the late 80's. Oils have been getting better (of that I have no doubt) and oil change intervals have gotten longer

Question
So why is it that average engine life has NOT grown..........?

why are there NOT 500,000 mile engines everywhere?

In the last month we have had 8 vehicles come into my shop with bad engines, with under 100k miles. (3 Subarus, they spin bearings regularly)

All the vehicles I see that are over 200k are well maintained and really over maintained per the manufacturer.

The manufacturer knows the oils are better but has no vested interest in having the vehicle go much past 150k miles.

My family has a history going back to the 1950's (grandpa, I ain't that old). We own vehicles a minimum of 15 years 200k miles 90% of the time. I can think of 8 ford Taurus that were still running at 300k when they were sold.

Maintenance, maintenance, and some extra Maintenance.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like Schaeffers. I went to an oil demo once. Kinda hard to explain but they have a machine that measures resistance via voltage. The have a bar that you press down on a spinning bearing that sits in a bowl of oil. Schaeffers is the only oil where they could not apply enough pressure to stop the bearing from spinning. Even after removing the bowl, so the bearing just had residue on it, they couldn't stop the bearing from spinning. After watching that demo, I use Schaeffers in everything.
I started using Schaeffer's recently - I think the 2nd or 3rd oil change in the raptor. I was using Amsoil and heard about Schaeffer's and decided to give it a try on my next oil change. I did, and thought what the heck, won't notice anything different anyway but whatever. After the first startup with Schaeffer's I noticed the truck was MUCH quieter and idled much smoother. So much so that it kind of shocked me. I've used it ever since.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marketing 101....the demo you went to is just an expensive version of a war mart end cap. Not judging, but they are designed to make you buy.

View attachment 390528
It really wasn't, but whatever ignorance helps you sleep at night is fine by me. Schaeffers has been making lubricants since 1839, I feel like they know what they are doing.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those of you showing what oils are good, what is it that make those oils good? Have any real testing data?
The marketing campaign is what makes one better than the other in most cases!

As someone stated, Most all the listed oils use the same base stock. The additive packages are in some cases just rebranded. No different than Uni royal made all of Big O tires or Napa filters are rebranded Wix filters.
While ill loosely agree with you , there tons of non anecdotal evidence that group 4 base stock oils or their type 3++ GTL equivalents are higly advantageous over group 3 in several modalities :
Sus viscosity
Film strength
Noac volitility
Pour point
Anti sheer

Yes its true
I started using Schaeffer's recently - I think the 2nd or 3rd oil change in the raptor. I was using Amsoil and heard about Schaeffer's and decided to give it a try on my next oil change. I did, and thought what the heck, won't notice anything different anyway but whatever. After the first startup with Schaeffer's I noticed the truck was MUCH quieter and idled much smoother. So much so that it kind of shocked me. I've used it ever since.
i may switch to that next broham

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
If we’re talking about the Gen2+ Raptor, any brand of synthetic that is API SP will be as good as any other in todays market.

Anyone who follows the Ford 10k mile oil change intervals is at best…”uninformed”. The “best” interval as far as longevity/performance is 5k miles, but 7500 is also reasonable. If you’re in a real pinch, a filter swap and add a quart will “freshen” it up for another 2k or so. 10k is specifically discouraged for longevity.

The base oil itself still is mostly still functional at 10k, but the chemicals in the branded additive package wear out long before the base oil is damaged. The atmospheric variances around the heat/cool cycles cause moisture, acids, and corrosion that can affect ultimate longevity inside the engine. The long-chain molecules that provide the increase in viscosity with heat can and do fail to become “thick” all the time and accumulate as sludge.

If you really want to learn the facts on lubricants of all types, this guy is a chemical engineer in the lubricants industry.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about this thread today reminded me of something I saw years ago.

Was mid to late 90's training class.

Had a independent testing on a bunch of oils.

None one will believe this, but I promise at the time it was true.

Wal-Mart brand oil was rated near the top, just barely below amsoil and mobile one. Ah but there was a catch.

The additive package died off fast after 5000 miles.

0-2000 miles it was better than all but the very best synthetics. 2000-5000 it was on par with the biggest names in conventional oil (pensoil, valvoline, Castrol)

But by 6000 miles, you wouldn't want to put it in asphalt, it had lost somewhere around 90% of its protection/additive package.

It was said that Walmart did this obviously to save money, but also if they ever had to defend the oil in court they could prove it was great oil and the customer didn't maintain the vehicle correctly.

All the others faded much more gradually and by 10,000 miles still had around 50% of the additive package left.

Was kind of interesting and really I learned "take care of your shit"

I use mobil 1, but I always change it sooner than "recommended".