Has anyone tried any oil additives in the 3.5 l EcoBoost and heard or made any actual difference in the performance and longevity of the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stuwart21

Reaction score
so far ive added liqui molly lifter additive and for now its made a slight difference but lets see

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What difference are you noticing? @FordTechOne is correct in that no additives are needed with good oil. What oil are you currently using? In my own experience I switched from Amsoil to Schaeffer’s 9000 and noticed a quieter and smoother idling engine. I attribute this to the high anti wear additives in the schaeffers- maybe give it a go instead of adding shit to your oil?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhh, yeah. IMO royal purple is garbage. It burns easily and gets way too thick when cold. There are lots of good oils, i would not consider royal purple one of them.
name a few please. im not a mechanic, however i do all the work on our vehicles and am very mechanically inclined, but i never got into the oil debate so consider me a newb when it comes to oil and filters

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uhh, yeah. IMO royal purple is garbage. It burns easily and gets way too thick when cold. There are lots of good oils, i would not consider royal purple one of them.
100% correct. Sad part is.... when they first came out was a good oil.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
name a few please. im not a mechanic, however i do all the work on our vehicles and am very mechanically inclined, but i never got into the oil debate so consider me a newb when it comes to oil and filters
So as driveway mechanic and Mechanical Engineer for CAT/Cummins generators... This is my opinion on oils and additives.

There are very few actual TRUE/Full Synthetic oils. Amsoil being one of them. Most "full synthetic oils" are what is called a Base Group 3 synthetic. So... still using a conventional base oil to start. Most oils on the market aim to meet or beat API (American Petroleum Institute) standards along with all NOVAC testing. All additives are technically "solutions in search of problems" for newer engines but do/did play a roll in older engines 100%. Most are snake oil though ASIDE FROM LiquidMolly products... the ideas the have are very interesting with their Ceratech product line.

In my opinion the best Oils you can buy today off the shelf.....

Valvoline
Penzoil
Amsoil
Rotella

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you can’t get amsoil off the shelf afaik it is still online only? I forgot to mention Motul, they make good oil too.