Harsh Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is a 2017 with 33k and I have only one issue that I can’t figure out. I have read several threads related to harsh shifting but mine has gotten to a violent state that makes my wife question reliability every time she rides. It also does it when going into reverse or drive. Usually the up shifting is smooth, it’s the downshifting and D/R engagement.

Torque converter issue?

I have Cobb intake and stage 1 OTS tune with Stage 2 on the way so I would like to figure this out before moving forward.

TIA

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it in and have the dealer reflash. There is a bulletin someone posted on FRF thats for the Gen 2s built before May 2018. I printed it out and told the dealer to fix it

Search is your friend

OP
OP

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it in and have the dealer reflash. There is a bulletin someone posted on FRF thats for the Gen 2s built before May 2018. I printed it out and told the dealer to fix it

Search is your friend
I saw that TSB for the reflash but it said nothing about issues of clunking when going into drive. It talked about harsh up shifts which I don’t have. Also since I have Cobb tune and intake that will throw CEL without tune, then I don’t wanna take it in for a possible fix, I was asking if anyone else has had this clunking when going into drive or reverse or during down shifts.

Reading thoroughly is obviously not you friend, but thanks for the suggestions.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that TSB for the reflash but it said nothing about issues of clunking when going into drive. It talked about harsh up shifts which I don’t have. Also since I have Cobb tune and intake that will throw CEL without tune, then I don’t wanna take it in for a possible fix, I was asking if anyone else has had this clunking when going into drive or reverse or during down shifts.

Reading thoroughly is obviously not you friend, but thanks for the suggestions.

“Reading thoroughly is obviously not your friend, but thanks for the suggestions.”
(Fixed)

It seems reading thoroughly may not be your friend either, since the TSB he is referring to (18-2274) clearly states: “Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns.” Again, HARSH/BUMPY UPSHIFT, DOWNSHIFT AND/OR ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS. The TSB does state some 2018 F150s, but it also includes 2017 F150s. Really, any that are built on or before the 15th of May 2018 and have the 10 speed transmission.

For your awareness, you literally said in your first post, “it’s the downshifting and D/R engagement.”

Just because the answer you got, isn’t the one you want, doesn’t make it incorrect and in this case, it’s most likely the fix to your problems.

He pointed you in the right direction. Goodluck

Last edited:
OP
OP

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going in on Monday to dealership, hopefully it will be something as simple as a reflash. I showed the service department the tsb and they acted like I brought in a paper that was in another language. Never surprises me how clueless they are.

blackbird18

Reaction score
Going in on Monday to dealership, hopefully it will be something as simple as a reflash. I showed the service department the tsb and they acted like I brought in a paper that was in another language. Never surprises me how clueless they are.

I called to set up an appointment for the reflash and an oil change and the lady on the phone had no clue what I was talking about. After a few times on hold I just asked for someone who knows SVT and Ford Performance products. Manager got on the phone and all was good.

I'd recommend just just going straight to the service manager. It worked for me.

wrek

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Take it in and get a SW update for your transmission. Huge difference after the new SW

OP
OP

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am guessing that I need to put factory tune back on when I take it in but with Cobb I take it will throw CEL so do I just leave the tune I stalled?