Hard Tonneau Cover Options

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]' started by The Outrage, Jan 29, 2014.

1. The Outrage

The Outrage Full Access Member

I've been debating what sort of tonneau cover to purchase for my Raptor.

Originally, I was leaning toward an A.R.E. LSX or LSX Ultra cover, but I had a few reservations. I've seen A.R.E. covers on other trucks on the road and it always seems like their latches are crooked which looks cheesy. Additionally, the A.R.E. LSX tonneau cover is, IMO, a bit ugly on the 2009 and up F-150s. I'd be willing to overlook that if the cover was of a higher quality than other options.

The Patriot Victory tonneau cover has a slightly better appearance than the A.R.E. LSX but information available online concerning this cover is sparse.

The UnderCover SE Smooth is more attractive than the above fiberglass covers. I don't know how the UnderCover SE' ABS plastic will hold up over time versus the fiberglass.

My universal concern is that I would like to be able to open the tonneau cover inside my garage without bashing it into the garage door opener tracks. This track sits higher than the garage door's opening (7 feet) but I don't know its precise height off the top of my head. Does anyone have experience with these options or others like them?

2. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I have the LSX A.R.E. Tonneau Cover.
    It's a very nice cover but not good for going anywhere off-road.
    I personally love the look of it but I'll be putting it up for sale this spring because I need something better for doing all these off road events I've been doing.

Attached Files:

3. goinsvt

goinsvt Full Access Member

I've been looking at hard tonneau covers for my truck as well. I'm not a big fan of the painted fiberglass covers so I'm looking more at the folding hard covers (Bakflip HD, Diamondback) or even the rolling hard covers (Bak Rollback, Bak RollX). These would definitely solve your problem with hitting the garage door tracks. I hear they are also better for off-roading.

4. The Outrage

The Outrage Full Access Member

What issues are you encountering when using the A.R.E. LSX? Does it become misaligned?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I've considered those options as well. From my online research, it seems that the folding panel tonneau covers have hinges which rust, panels which fade over time, and have poor weather sealing. The thought of resting a set of panels on my truck's cab gives me the heebie-jeebies. The roll top tonneau covers were actually one of my first choices due to their flexibility. I've read of similar issues with poor weather sealing and overly complex drainage systems with these covers as well.

5. JJ f150harley

JJ f150harley Full Access Member

I have the one you can buy from the dealer. Its a nice cover but I have to check the bolts on the clips before I go off road(already had IG move and take paint off both sides of my bed). And my door is 7 foot on my garage and I can open the cover high enough to get everything out but it won't go all the way up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

6. JJ f150harley

JJ f150harley Full Access Member

uploadfromtaptalk1391096821820.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1391096844259.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1391096864804.jpg

Works great in winter compared to my other soft top truxedo that leaks on the sides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

7. beemerman

beemerman FRF Addict

I have the gaylords lid.

Attached Files:

8. debate

debate Full Access Member

Leer 700 matches very well with the Raptors' lines.

9. RaptorWifey

RaptorWifey FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member FRF Lady

We have an Extang Solid Fold... even jumped with it on... Love it and no problems... pretty impressed that you can stand on the thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only issue we ran into was putting on a light bar rack. Joe and WSI custom designed one.

Attached Files:

10. 2004boss

2004boss Full Access Member

My powertrax pro is perfect. Seals great looks great and it opens and closes with 6" of snow sitting on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk