Hard shifts into 5th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting these? Seem to happen more frequently and its kinda worrying me.

Stock motor and trans no tunes. I always drive in Sport mode. This is on a 2019.

Swaddict

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's becoming more frequent, then take it to dealer. My 20 does it occasionally, only in Sport Mode, when shifting from 5th to 6th. I can only repeat the hard shift if I accelerate then ease off the pedal around 45 mph. If I'm accelerating on the hwy up to the posted 70 mph speed limit, then no hard shifting occurs.

Joshua Krueger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always shifts hard in manual or sport mode. Its probably how its tuned from the factory and dependent on how high the RPMs are.

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
I've had no small share of problems w/ my '17 (had to buy a new factory long block recently)... but I'm also in the hard-shift column. I usually get it when the trans is relatively cold (sitting overnight and first start). Mine comes on 3-to-4 shift ... my truck will also lose itself going from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway. Holds 1st ... then up to 4th ... then nothing ... then drop back to 3 w/ a hard shift. I suspect real issues at play - but I can't stomach dealing w/ a beat-down trans after replacing the motor already this month.

Zach Bowling

Reaction score
Happens a lot when gunning it hard in sport which I assume is how it's tuned but its unsettling sometimes. Definitely happens more when its cold out shifting from 3-5. Keep me posted, Ive got 7000 miles left on my factory powertrain warranty so if the trans gos Id like it to go sooner than later (or not at all preferably)