Hard shifts between 3-4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I imagine I'll probably need to take it in to the dealership for this, but thought I would bring up here for anyone's thoughts.

I've started to notice that the truck seems to shift a bit harder between 3rd and 4th gear. Happens for both upshift and downshift, and doesn't happen at higher gears. If it's skipping gears, it's smooth. Doesn't happen every time, but does seem to be a bit more often and noticeable lately...but that could because I'm now looking for it more now.

It's a 2017 with a little over 40k miles on it. Haven't checked the transmission fluid, but see if I can do that over the weekend. Had the breaks done recently, but issue started happening before then.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
With Forscan I think you can reset the adaptive tables then perform the relearn procedure. That’s probably the first place they will take it.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With Forscan I think you can reset the adaptive tables then perform the relearn procedure. That’s probably the first place they will take it.

They being the dealership? I have forscan, but really don't want to mess with it. Really hoping it's just a software thing.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Stop me if you’ve hear this story before.

Customer brings truck in for harsh shifting.
Tech test drives vehicle, check for DTC, NPF. Return to customer.

Repeat. Same result.

schedule follow up visit ask them to update the programming BECAUSE OF THE HARSH SHIFTING. (if you don’t give a complaint, they won’t do it).

programming updated to latest version, shift tables cleared, relearn procedure done.

you get it back and it runs great for a week and you think “got this one done”.
Next day, you get a single harsh shift. Then 2 more the next day. and so on.

Next visit scheduled.
Test drive, unable to replicate problem. Check for DTC return to owner, NPF

Of course, you’re disappointed, but S/A explains to you: “There are no diagnostic codes stored, so there’s no problem. Harsh shifting? They all do that”.

I mean, it could go differently.

skidmarcx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re low mileage like me on a 17, I bought mine used and had hard shifts come to find out it had a performance tune (who knows by what company), found that out once I had a mobile programmer come out to my shop, fixed that with just software, hopefully just a simple fix for you as well

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stop me if you’ve hear this story before.

Customer brings truck in for harsh shifting.
Tech test drives vehicle, check for DTC, NPF. Return to customer.

Repeat. Same result.

schedule follow up visit ask them to update the programming BECAUSE OF THE HARSH SHIFTING. (if you don’t give a complaint, they won’t do it).

programming updated to latest version, shift tables cleared, relearn procedure done.

you get it back and it runs great for a week and you think “got this one done”.
Next day, you get a single harsh shift. Then 2 more the next day. and so on.

Next visit scheduled.
Test drive, unable to replicate problem. Check for DTC return to owner, NPF

Of course, you’re disappointed, but S/A explains to you: “There are no diagnostic codes stored, so there’s no problem. Harsh shifting? They all do that”.

I mean, it could go differently.

Yea, I hear you. But I supposed I could give the dealership a run first, then mess with forscan myself if it goes south.

Correct me if I'm idiot, but if they do determine that it's a software issue, would that mean getting a custom tune should fix the issue. Sounds like a good excuse to me.

You’re low mileage like me on a 17, I bought mine used and had hard shifts come to find out it had a performance tune (who knows by what company), found that out once I had a mobile programmer come out to my shop, fixed that with just software, hopefully just a simple fix for you as well

I bought mine used as well, but pretty darn sure there was no tune on it. Previous owner basically drove it less than 2k in 2 years. No real mods to speak of, that I could see. Besides, I did have the cam phaser software fix/update done on it last fall, which I think would have wiped out any tune...or they would have told me it was tuned.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Ford does update the TCM programming periodically, but you have to report a problem for them to do it. If you go in and ask for the latest programming, Tech plugs in the scanner, finds a compatible TCM version, no matter how old and reports back “tcm code current” or something similar.

My truck used to hate to downshift in normal eco mode. It took 3 trips to get them to update, which did help a lot. But, I never had harsh shifts.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reset in forscan….I did when I had harsh 3/4 and hard shifts into drive and reverse….I followed the procedure below and it has worked well.

The cam phasers update, 2N01 or something, had a pcm update, that may include a TCM, or at least a newer one than yours may currently have.

Programming
NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.
2017 F-150
Procedure revision date: 04/26/2019
1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.
2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.
3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51- 61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.
8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.
10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.
© Copyright 2020, Ford Motor Company.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB issued in I think 2020 for a TCM update because of harsh shifting between 3-4 or 3-4-5, mine had it.
When I had mine in the dealer for a mirror replace under warranty I had them do the TCM update and it fixed the shifting. I will look up the TSB.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 was shifting really, really hard between 4-5 and 7-8, felt like I was being rear ended. So hard that I thought something was going to break using sport mode and I quit using it. Found a TSB that said some trucks have bad transmission programming and need a reflash. The reflash solved 99% of my problems. I can now use sport mode without worry and do often. It's still a little rough between those same gears if you are paying attention, but nowhere near what I was experiencing before. Don't believe everyone who tells you "it's just the self learning trans" or "sport mode is supposed to do that". Some trucks have real shifting problems that only an update can fix.