Hard Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked for experiences with hard shifting but it all seems to be in the lower gears, especially 3-4.
Yesterday I was driving 80ish on the highway and let off on the cruise control to slow down for and exit and there was a loud thud accompanied with a physical bang. Almost like I was shifting from 10th to 2nd gear. It only lasted a second and nothing else happened.
I have a Cobb tune.

Any one experience this?

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the TCM Tune as well or just the ECU?

If you have the TCM tune, which one are you running? There are a few canned TCM tunes built into the COBB AP, I have mine custom tuned from Goosetuned.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routinely have a harsher downshift from 4-3, typically when braking from higher speeds, rather than coasting down to a stop. Happens even when the truck has been running for a bit and is warm. 2020 with a 2-20 build date

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 and 3-4 are always the harshest.

OP
OP
TrewRaptor

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the Cobb TCM Tune. this was a one off situation so I thought I 'd check with the group. It's currently a stage 1 91 octane.

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
I also have the periodic 4-3 downshift that sounds and feels like the rear differential just grenaded. Like old school bad u-joints type hammering because of slack in the driveline. I have had the trans re-flashed by the dealer and it seems to help for a period of time then returns. So annoying for such an expensive truck when I need to explain what it was to family and friends and I can't.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have similar issues with the shifting. Which would slowly get worse. I have an MPT tune and discovered if I change tunes (which resets the transmissions adaptive learning) the shifting issue goes away. So I'll switch to a different tune and then switch right back. It slowly comes back over time though. So every maybe 6-8k miles I do the tune swapping.

Reaction score
I had this issue on mine, super hard shift from 10th to 5th on the highway after a sustained long climb in 9-10th and then all of a sudden I noticed a hesitation in the shifting and then it slammed into 5th. Its been to the dealer 4 times now, they can never get it to do the same thing (I really only does it on the long mountain pass climbs) and they have no idea how to solve it. I did add a Cobb with goose tuned and the shifting has been SO MUCH better than stock and I hope next time im driving up the mountains I don't have that issue again

OP
OP
TrewRaptor

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue on mine, super hard shift from 10th to 5th on the highway after a sustained long climb in 9-10th and then all of a sudden I noticed a hesitation in the shifting and then it slammed into 5th. Its been to the dealer 4 times now, they can never get it to do the same thing (I really only does it on the long mountain pass climbs) and they have no idea how to solve it. I did add a Cobb with goose tuned and the shifting has been SO MUCH better than stock and I hope next time im driving up the mountains I don't have that issue again

Thats exactly what I experienced. Sounds like a goose tune after the FMIC is installed.